[blparent] Tooth Brushing and To Allison

melissa at riccobono.us melissa at riccobono.us
Wed Mar 23 21:44:34 UTC 2016

I love this advice. We generally sing a song while brushing teeth. When the song is over, so is toothbrushing time. My youngest are three and five and they still like me to sing to them, even though they are doing the majority of the toothbrushing themselves. Sometimes I still take a turn brushing my three year olds teeth depending on how well she is doing on her own. Some nights there is a lot of sucking on the brush and not a lot of brushing.
The other thing I would suggest is not holding the brush by the handle when you are brushing her teeth. Hold the brush more on the back of the brush itself. That way you can much more easily guide it into her mouth and feel where you are brushing. The calmer you are at toothbrushing time, the more fun it will be for all of you. And, it won't be long until she is begging to take her own turn with brushing, which you should definitely let her do. Either after you are done brushing, or before you have a turn. I think my kids were about two and a half when they began brushing more independently, and about three when they mostly brushed on their own.
Good luck.
Melissa