[blparent] Outgrowing an infant carrier

Shelley Richards shelleyrichards9 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 14:00:08 UTC 2017

I have two different options that I use. The first is a rack with wheels that the car seat clips into. This is sensually makes it so that you now have a car seat on wheels. It is made for the child to be sitting in it while you pull it around, so it is perfectly safe to either leave the child in the car seat or not while you wheel it. The second option that I use is A suitcase that is designed for convertible car seats. It is a soft sided bag which fits the car seat, and it can either be pulled around on wheels like a suitcase or worn on your back. Not all of them have the backpack straps, but I like the one that does so I have both options.  They are both advertised as being useful for airports, but I find both useful for any form of public transportation. I also find them useful for lugging around the car seat when you get where you're going.  As far as I know, there are no convertible car seats that will clip onto a stroller.  Some places, such as stores, are also likely to allow you to leave the car seat with customer service and come back and get it when you're done.  Of course it is up to you whether or not you trust them to leave your car seat with them.  Once they hit the age and size were they are in a convertible car seat I don't use a big stroller anymore most of the time anyway. I started using an umbrella stroller when they got to that size, it is so much easier to carry around. I was more than able to handle the car seat and an umbrella stroller.  Of course once the child is actually sitting in the stroller and needs to be pushed around you would have to have the car seat on your back. So whether or not you can handle this all depends on whether or not you have the strength to carry the car seat around on your back LOL, they are not light.  We did actually go to the store and pick up all the different car seats that we liked. Our final decision was based on which car seat we felt was a high-quality safe car seat, but the lightest of all the ones that we liked.  We actually did the same thing with strollers, went to the store and actually push/pull them around to see which was the easiest to maneuver, and then we picked them all up to see which would be the easiest to carry around when we were traveling.  My husband is also visually impaired, so neither one of us drive, and we do a lot of traveling on trains, buses, and airplanes. All of these considerations were quite important to us.  Also make sure you get a wearable carrier which can be used as a backpack toddler carrier. Otherwise we will have to buy a separate backpack toddler carrier. We actually do have two, one that's designed better for front caring with an infant, and another one that is only for backpack carrying and is made more free toddler.  Although both technically it could be used for any size child, we use the one almost exclusively for caring the kids when they're little, a year old or less, and we use the other one only for bigger kids, over a year old until they hit the weight limit. Both have a weight limit of 35 pounds, and my three year old still has not hit that 35 pound limit.
I hope this helps you.
Shelley

Sent from my iPhone