[blparent] advice for how to visit places like national parks

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Mar 19 13:38:09 UTC 2017

My son and I visited Yellowstone as a part of a longer vacation.  We went
through a tour company.  I think that particular tour was Grayline, but
there are lots of other companies that do similar day tours.  The tour van
picked us up at the hotel, provided all the day transportation, gave loads
of verbal descriptions and then dropped us back at the hotel at the end of
the day. We had a number of stops where we got out of the van and walked
closer to particular park features, so it wasn't all just riding around in
the van.

This has been probably ten years ago.  I'm remembering the price was
something like $80 per person for the day, plus a tip.  That included any
entrance fees and parking fees etc.  Lunch and souvenirs were extra, of
course.

We've used other similar tour companies for a boat swamp tour in Louisiana,
plantation tour, and non park, more touristy places.  Once I hired a local
lady to pick us up at our bed and breakfast and take us clam digging.  She
was recommended by another hotel owner.   We had a lot of adventures!

Now he's grown up and has his own life.  I'm so glad we went when he was
younger.  Wonderful memories! I hope you will be able to make it work.  It
is so much fun to travel with older kids!

Julie