[Cabs-talk] New Topic!

Bruce Sexton Jr. bjsexton at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 22:15:17 UTC 2009

Dear Darian and List,

I took an intermediate sign language course at Las Positas Community
College.  I received an "A" in the class without preferential treatment.  I
had an interpreter with me in the class who was able to whisper everything
the professor was signing to the rest of the class.  We then worked two to
three hours outside of class where we went through the course assignments.
My tutor would describe the signs based on hand forms.  For example:  My
tutor would say: "shape both hands in the form of a sign language "d," face
both pointer fingers toward me and then make a circle with them towards
yourself.  If I was unable to understand the verbal directions, I would
touch my tutor's hands, or my tutor would shape my hands into a form when I
did not know it already.

Facial expressions are important in sign language, but I think it comes
naturally to most.  For example. when signing monkey, you shape your mouth
into a small "o" or as if you are going to whistle, and you raise your
eyebrows.  These things can be described and mastered by any blind person.
Many times, the facial expressions are "the raising of the eyebrows."  When
you say surprise or excited you make a face that expresses those emotions.
I know that if you want to take sign language, and you can find a tutor,
that you could do well in the class.  If you want more information or you
have other questions, don't hesitate to write me off list! :)

Yours Sincerely,
B.J.