[Cabs-talk] [cabs-talk] Diversity and the NFB

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 07:34:46 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your concerns about chirping signals. I hadn't
thought they would be a disadvantage for anyone. Just an aside, the
traffic signal they guy set up near my house works 24/7 whenever someone
presses the button.

We must be very careful in choosing our self-sacrifices. In many places
around the world, a blind person might choose to just stay at home
because he knows that if he stepped outside on his own he would cause
his family and neighbors much stress. The man would do it for the
greater good, for the majority sighted people around him. I happen to be
reading about Japanese culture at the moment and they are very big on
self sacrifice. I find that if I were to refrain from requesting all the
things I would need to be successful in life, such as FM Systems,
braille books, etc, it would not be a positive image for the NFB, I
would simply become another un-productive statistic. I've also heard of
deafblind folks holding up cards to request passerby help them cross
streets. Since I absolutely cannot hear traffic patterns reliably, then
I suppose I could have chosen to hold up signs instead of asking for a
chirping signal. For me, the greater freedom offered by a chirping
signal was preferable. I really appreciate that you've revealed to me
that chirping signals might actually make crossing streets harder for
some deafblind people; that's a factor I was totally unaware of. As far
as images go, I certainly did point out to the city technician that my
hearing loss prevented me from listening to traffic patterns, as a
solely blind person might.

A girl made a youtube video criticizing the NFB. Many of her claims were
untrue and uninformed. I suspect, though, that some of her frustrations
might stem from the common knowledge of the NFB, and that knowledge
seems to have a strong tendency to cast the blind person as belonging to
a homogeneous population. There are subdivisions like the deafblind
Division, but that is not the voice most people hear from the NFB. To be
honest, I don't know about the activities of the deafblind division, I
don't know of any to speak of. A year or so ago I read in the news of
the NFB's protest against making currency with tactile identifications.
One of the NFB's arguments was that there exist machines that "speak"
the denomination of a bill. If the deafblind division ever mentioned
that the deafblind cannot use such a machine, their voices were not in
the articles I read about the issue. By bringing this up I only mean to
provide an example of how the NFB might not even represent its deafblind
division, or the other deafblind organizations; I do just fine with
folding bills, by the way, and have successfully been employed doing
tasks involving money and cash registers.

I like the NFB, it's a fantastic and incredibly supportive organization.
All I mean to convey is that I realize the NFB cannot always represent
me because its intent is to represent the majority of blind people. I
totally understand this, though the process of understanding and
realizing this has been a little unsettling.

best,
Haben