[Cinci-nfb] April NFB minutes

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Wed May 13 08:35:51 UTC 2015

Great job as always, Secretary Lewis!

-----Original Message-----
From: Cinci-nfb [mailto:cinci-nfb-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Deanna
Lewis via Cinci-nfb
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:59 AM
To: cinci-nfb at nfbnet.org
Cc: Deanna Lewis
Subject: [Cinci-nfb] April NFB minutes

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF CINCINNATI Meeting minutes for April
25th, 2015

1.     The April 25th meeting of the Cincinnati Chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind was called to order by President, Deborah
Kendrick at 1:12 PM at Washington Platform Restaurant. The following were
present: Deborah Kendrick, Walter Mitchell, Deanna Lewis, Emily Pennington,
Lillie Pennington, Kim McEachirn, Sheri Albers, Jessie McDaniel, Bill Innis,
Karren Innis, Paul Dressell, Bernie Dressell, Joy Thomas, Jim Tudor, David
Perry, Chris Sabine, Elif Emir, and Rachel Kuntz. We also have two new
members; David Carr and Annie McEachirn Carson.
2.     The meeting started with our introductions and Mini-Blind,
where members shared how and when they filed their taxes this year.
Turbo tax and Tax Act are two fairly accessible sites.
3.     Deborah emailed the new NFB slogan, and we all read it aloud.
Here it is for future reference:
blindness is not what holds you back.
4.     Deborah updated the Chapter about our member Bob Marquardt, who
has been having several health issues for the last few months. Bob is
currently in hospice at Heritage Springs. His health is declining and he is
in kidney failure.
David Perry gave a brief update on his wife Jacquie. She has suffered
several strokes and a few seizures, due to Moya Moya disease. She is on the
road to recovery, but still has a long way to go. We all had a moment of
silence for our dear friends.
5.     Lillie Pennington took the minutes from the March meeting, and
she read them to the Chapter. Deanna Lewis moved that the March meeting
minutes be approved as read. Emily Pennington seconded; the motion passed.
6.     Treasurer's Report:  Emily reported the following balances.

Seniors: $40.68
Checking: $3,088.61
Income: $135.00

A.    $105 from City Access book sales

B.     $23 for the auction items

C.     $7 for members not being clad with NFB insignia
There were no expenses this month.
Paul Dressell made a motion that the Treasurer's report be approved, and
Bernie Dressell seconded; the motion passed.
7.     Braille Monitor Article: Deborah Kendrick mentioned the many
ways that you can read the Braille Monitor. You can have it emailed to you,
use Newsline, view it on the website, or with the iPhone app. You can also
request a Braille or large print copy, or a thumb drive that you return
after reading it.
The article Deborah covered was titled, "The Deaf-blind Dilemma," by Kathy
Guillory Miller. The article focused on the culture of the deaf-blind, which
Deborah found very interesting since she has been teaching technology to
deaf-blind students. It also mentioned the deaf-blind division of the NFB.
Another article that stood out for her, was one regarding Microsoft
accessibility.

Deborah also mentioned that there is an NFB publication "Future Reflections"
a magazine for parents and teachers of blind children.
Deanna Lewis volunteered to cover a Braille Monitor article in May.
8.     Jernigan Fund tickets: It's that time again for our Chapter to
sell Jernigan tickets. Each ticket costs $10 and you are entered in a raffle
for a chance to win an all-expense paid trip for two to the
2016 NFB National Convention.  The winner also gets $1,000 spending money.
Deborah passed the microphone around the room to see who is interested in
purchasing tickets, and how many they would like. An overwhelming response
was met, and Paul Dressell made a motion that we order the remaining tickets
that the state affiliate has, but not to exceed 20. Emily Pennington
seconded, and the motion passed.
9.     Committee Reports:

A.    Fundraising: Sheri Albers reported that the committee held a
conference email meeting, discussing the upcoming Game Party and
Braille-a-thon.

*        The Game Party will take place on May 9th from 2:00-7:00 PM
at Paul and Bernie Dressell's house in Westwood. The cost will be $10 per
adult and it is for our members and friends. A meal will be provided; sloppy
joe's with coleslaw and chips. Cookies and soda will also be served.  Paul
and Emily will be discussing what games to bring. Paul will be sending an
announcement to the Cincinnati Chapter email list soon.

*        The Braille-a-thon is still in the planning stages, and more
information will be coming soon.

*        JW Smith is having an event at Arnold's Bar and Grill on
Wednesday, April 29th from 7:00-9:00 PM. He will be preforming and there
will also be raffles and a silent auction. Proceeds will go towards the
Drive for 75.

Chris Sabine suggested that this event be dedicated to Bob Marquardt.
Since the Drive for 75 is not a direct project of the Cincinnati Chapter,
Sheri would have to check with JW Smith.  Walter Mitchell also mentioned
that there will also be an Inspirational concert on May 30th, which may be a
better event to dedicate to Bob Marquardt. Jim Tudor moved a formal proposal
to the Drive for 75 campaign, that we dedicate this event to Bob Marquardt.
Paul Dressell seconded, and the motion passed. The Drive for 75 committee
will make the final decision with our proposal in mind.

The Blind Inspiration concert will have several blind performers, including
JW Smith and Emily Pennington.  It will take place at:

House of Joy

5912 Hamilton Ave.

>From 6:00-8:00 PM

Walter will be sending out more information on the event soon.

B.     Recreation Committee: Deanna Lewis reported that the committee
had a conference call on 4/19 with 8 participants. Many ideas were
discussed, but we would like to focus on two upcoming projects, the dinner
and a movie and the picnic. Deanna also informed the chapter that Bootsy
Collins would be doing a concert this evening at Washington Park if any
chapter members were interested in attending.

*        Dinner and a movie. Rachel Kuntz did some research on this
project and reported the following. The Oakley Station movie theater has
audio described movies and there are several nearby restaurants, one that
was discussed was Arthur's in Hyde Park. The least expensive option is
seeing a matinee movie and going to dinner afterwards. Early Bird and
matinee prices range from $6.65-$8.15. With the price of the movie and
dinner, it will most likely cost each person $25 to attend.
Rachel moved that we go to the movies on Saturday, August 8th. Kim McEachirn
seconded and the motion passed.  Emily Pennington made a motion that the
Chapter covers the cost of the movie tickets, and the members pay for their
own dinners. David Carr seconded and the motion passed. The movie and
restaurant will be decided soon. The committee will also be working on
transportation options.

*        Picnic: President Kendrick has offered to host the picnic at
her house this year.  Rachel Kuntz moved that the picnic take place on
Saturday, June 13th at Deborah's house. David Carr seconded and the motion
passed. The cost for the picnic will be $5.00 and each member should bring a
side dish to share. More details will be coming soon.

C.     Membership Committee: Chris Sabine reported that the committee
recently had a conference call with 8 participants. On April 4th, Chris
attended an expo for people with autism and other special needs.
He handed out NFB literature and Braille alphabet cards. The next Membership
call will be on May 17th at 1:30.
10.                         President Kendrick reminded everyone that
the NFB of Ohio's scholarship deadline is May 15th. She asked everyone to
spread the word to any blind students that they know.

11.                         President Kendrick is making a list of
people who are planning to attend the National Convention in Orlando.
So far, the following people are attending: Deborah Kendrick, Emily
Pennington, Lillie Pennington, Sheri Albers, Lisa Hall, Walter Mitchell,
Rachel Kuntz, and Paul Jordan.

12.                         Elif Emir made a brief announcement about
a training workshop that the University of Cincinnati is conducting.
The workshop will focus on teaching their students the skills needed to work
with blind clients. Elif would like our Chapter to help present at this
event, demonstrating some of the tools we use every day, like canes, guide
dogs, access technology, and Braille. This event will be taking place in
either October or November, so we believe it would be good to conduct this
as a Meet the Blind Month activity. Elif and the Meet the Blind Month
committee will be working further on this endeavor.

13.                         Paul Dressell handed out a few of the new
NFB Independence Market catalogs to those who wanted one.

14.                         Paul Dressell brought in two books on CD
to auction off. The first one, "Big Bad Wolf," by James Patterson was won by
Deborah Kendrick with a bid of $5. The second one, "Retribution," by
Jilliane Hoffman was won by Deanna Lewis, with a bid of $7.

Sheri Albers brought in a $10 gift certificate to Washington Platform.
It was won by Kim and Annie McEachirn with a bid of $12.

15.                         The meeting was adjourned at 2:52 PM. Due
to the Memorial Day Holiday, our next meeting will take place on May 30th at
1:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Deanna Lewis, Secretary