[Cinci-nfb] September minutes

Deanna Lewis deannakay03 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:45:12 UTC 2015

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF CINCINNATI
Meeting minutes for September 28th, 2015

1.	The September 28th conference call meeting of the Cincinnati
Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind was called to order by
President, Deborah Kendrick at 7:05 PM. The following were present:
Deborah Kendrick, Walter Mitchell, Deanna Lewis, Emily Pennington,
Lillie Pennington, Kim McEachirn, Annie McEachirn Carson, Sheri
Albers, Jessie McDaniel, Chris Sabine, David Carr, Judy Rudig, Paul
Dressell, Bernie Dressell, Rachel Kuntz, and Jim Tudor. We also had
Eric Duffy on the call as our guest.
2.	The meeting started with the reading of our 1-minute speech:
expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
3.	Introductions and the Mini-Blind. This month, we all shared stories
of how we spread the word about NFB and blindness every day.
4.	Minutes: Chris Sabine moved that the August minutes be approved as
emailed. Emily Pennington seconded and the motion passed.
5.	Emily Pennington read the Treasurer’s Report to the group.
Sheri Albers made a motion that the Treasurer’s report be approved as
read. Judy Rudig seconded and the motion passed.
6.	Deborah reported that the Chapter now has a P.O. Box address.
NFB of Cincinnati
P.O. Box 8184
Cincinnati, OH 45208
Information labels have been made with our contact information, NFB
and  NFBO website addresses, the NFB slogan and the new NFB logo.

7.	Meeting date changes: At our last chapter meeting we rescheduled
the next 3 meetings, due to conflicts with the NFBO Board meeting,
State Convention and Thanksgiving weekend. Our rescheduled November
meeting cannot take place via conference call, due to elections.
Deborah suggested that we meet at Washington Platform on Saturday,
November 14th from 1:00-3:00 PM. Paul Dressell moved that the November
meeting take place on the 14th; Judy Rudig seconded and the motion
passed.
Deborah also suggested that we meet in person for our October meeting
on the fourth Saturday, which would be the 24th. There was some
discussion about the confusion regarding whether the meetings take
place on the fourth or last Saturday of the month.
Judy Rudig made a motion that our meetings should generally take place
on the fourth Saturday of the month, unless there are extenuating
circumstances. Paul Dressell seconded and the motion passed.
As a reminder, there will not be a December meeting, just the Christmas Party.

8.	Several members have expressed concern that items are being decided
on and passed without a majority vote. We believe that the majority
vote policy is in the constitution; Eric Duffy and Deborah Kendrick
will follow-up on this after reviewing the Constitution.

9.	Board Meeting Recap: The members who attended the NFBO Board
Meeting shared some of the following updates:
A.	The NFB of Ohio has an Amazon Smile account
B.	We are also having a Schwan’s fundraiser, going on now.
C.	There will be another Malley’s Chocolates fundraiser for Christmas
and Easter.
D.	Members were also reminded of the Scrip gift card program.
E.	The Capital Chapter received a bequest, and some of that money was
used to purchase a new embosser.

10.	White Cane Walk: The White Cane Walk will take place on October
22nd, 2015 in downtown Cincinnati. This is our tenth year of having
the White Cane Walk. Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually
Impaired and Clovernook will be participating again this year.
The walk has traditionally taken place on October 15th, but
unfortunately this year the NIB Conference falls on that date. The
CEO’s and key staff members of the participating agencies would not be
able to attend, so the walk has been moved to Thursday, October 22nd.
We will meet at 11:00 AM at City Hall and walk to Fountain Square.
Chris Sabine and Judy Rudig will work at the NFB table, which will be
set-up on Fountain Square.  Deborah will make sure that CABVI provides
a PA system this year.

11.	Kim McEachirn shared a pledge that he has written, in hopes of
strengthening our Chapter. The pledge is to re-affirm our commitment
to the NFB.

12.	Committee Reports:
A.	Membership: Chris Sabine reminded everyone of the movie night at
Clovernook Procter Center on Friday, October 9th from 4:30-7:00. There
will be a 30 minute discussion about the NFB followed by a movie and
dinner. The audio described movie will be Alexander and the terrible,
horrible, no good, very bad day. Popcorn, soda, and pizza will be
served to the group, and there will be time afterwards for questions.
Chris Sabine moved that the chapter allocate up to $100 for the cost
of supplies for this event. Paul Dressell seconded and the motion
passed.
B.	Recreation: Kim McEachirn and Deanna Lewis gave the committee
report on the following:
The tour of Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum has been scheduled for
Saturday October 3rd, from 2:30-4:00. Kim and Deanna described what
the tour consists of. We will mainly be riding in a tram throughout
the grounds, with a bit of walking. The cost of the tour is $75, for
the group. Kim moved that the chapter cover the cost, Annie seconded
and the motion passed.
C.	The Fundraising Committee reported on the Bake Sale, which will be
taking place on Saturday, October 31st, from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM. We will
be in the Save-a-Lot shopping Center located at 2435 Harrison Ave. at
the corner of Harrison and McHenry. Save-a-Lot will provide tables and
chairs; the event will be held, rain or shine. We will also be handing
out NFB Literature.
Sheri will be sending out the flyer for this event soon. Please
contact Bernie Dressell to let her know what you will be bringing for
the sale. Items should be bagged or wrapped and ready to sell. For
example: two cookies in a Ziploc bag for $1.00. Since the Bake Sale is
on Halloween, the committee would like to purchase bulk candy and
place a few in small decorative bags with the NFB labels. These bags
will be given away to people who make a purchase. Deborah will donate
$20 towards the cost of the treat bags. Any leftover baked goods will
be given to those who participate at the event.

13.	 State Convention: The NFBO State Convention will be held from
November 19th-22nd at the Doubletree in Independence, OH (near
Cleveland).
•	The Board meeting will take place on Thursday night.
•	There will be several workshops and exhibits of blindness related
items on Friday.
•	Friday night will be the NAPUB play.
•	Saturday will be general session and division meetings.
•	Saturday evening will be the Banquet.
•	The state affiliate is conducting a split the pot drawing.
•	If you are in need of a roommate, please contact Richard Payne, who
can help set you up with someone.
14.	State Convention transportation: Several different transportation
items were discussed, including:
A.	Mega Bus or Greyhound
B.	Carpooling
C.	Renting a vehicle, such as a 12 passenger van. Rachel’s husband,
Mike has agreed to be a driver
D.	Borrowing a vehicle from a church, CABVI, or Clovernook
E.	We also need to consider when people will be leaving for
Convention, Thursday or Friday? With the possibility of only providing
group transportation on Thursday.
Final discussion and details about this will take place during our
next meeting.
15.	The meeting was adjourned at 9:04 PM with the next meeting
scheduled on Saturday, October 24th, 2015, at Washington Platform.
Respectfully submitted,
Deanna Lewis, Secretary