[Colorado-talk] Emily Griffith Opportunity School

Eddie K. Thieszen-Culp eddie.culp at q.com
Thu Dec 9 22:35:23 UTC 2010

Greetings

If Emily Griffith is outright refusing to provide the materials in an
alternative format, then their rights are absolutely being violated.

If, however, Emily Griffith is saying that they need appropriate notice
and/or need some time to produce the materials in alternative format then
that is a different story.  Sometimes schools such as Emily Griffith have a
six week notice clause in their policy which allows them some wiggle room.

Emily Griffith has the right to determine the format of the accommodation.
For instance, if Emily Griffith is agreeing to give them the materials in an
electronic format and they would like Emily Griffith to give them the
materials in Braille but Emily Griffith does not have the ability to do so
then that is also another story.

I know that EG has a disability coordinator but I do not remember her name.
She is usually very good about facilitating accommodations between students
and the school.

I am not certain because I have never run across a language barrier issue
and blindness related to an accommodation but I do not believe that EG has
any explicit responsibility as far as the language barrier issue is
concerned.  if so, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head
without knowing the particulars of the situation is that if requested EG has
a responsibility to provide students with copies of their policies and
procedures in a format that they understand.  however, this can be as simple
as having a good friend read and interpret the materials.

Please remember that at Mile High Counseling and Vocation Services "we are
in business for your success".

Thank you,

Eddie K. Thieszen - Culp M.A., CRC, CVE
Mile High Counseling and Vocation Services
3742 E. 99th Pl.
Thornton, CO. 80229
Phone: 720-244-9748
Fax:  303-280-4927