[Colorado-talk] Upcoming RTD Board Meetings

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 16:42:56 UTC 2017

Gary and Joe -

Thanks for your vigilance on this matter.  Electric (quiet) mall
shuttles are a concern of all of us.  On the national level we got the
Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act passed to require quiet vehicles to
emit sounds which make it clear that they are there, that they are
idling, accelerating or decelerating.  Quiet shuttles deployed at this
time without auditory provisions are a threat to blind people, but
also to all pedestrians on the mall.  It's frustrating that despite
Gary and Joe's presence and addressing this issue with rTD earlier,
they've still deployed these shuttles and don't know when they'll be
actually safe for blind and other pedestrians.

Gary has asked RTD's General Manager to ensure that the shuttles ring
their bells as they approach  crosswalks, but this isn't actually
enough.  The shuttles need to make appropriate sounds all the time.

I'm going to plan on coming to next Tuesday's meeting.  I hope that
lots of other blind folks come along too.  We clearly need to make the
point with the board of directors, who are the ones who call the
shots.

Best,
Dan