[Colorado-Talk] A Zoom Tip For Dial-in Users

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 21:28:33 UTC 2020

Greetings:

I have oftentimes been told by Zoom meeting participants who dial in either with the one-tap mobile link or through a traditional phone call where they dial in manually that they are not able to unmute themselves with star 6 or raise their hands with star 9. I confess that I often treat these reports as glitches that do not merit a lot of attention.

Today, I decided that the time had come for me to conduct some dialing tests of my own. I set up a Zoom meeting on the computer and then dialed into that meeting on my iPhone. Guess what I discovered. Suppose you want to unmute yourself with star 6. If, after pressing star, you wait for about two seconds, dialing 6 generates a null response from Zoom, meaning that your mute/unmute command is not recognized. This is equally true with the Raise Hand command, Star 9. You have to press Star 9 or Star 6 within a two-second time interval or the command fails to be recognized.

Some iPhone and landline users may never be able to dial numbers fast enough to solve this issue, and for them, I feel a certain amount of sympathy which increases the older I get.☺

The bottom line here for Zoom is to either eliminate the timer or to make it longer—perhaps five seconds?

Anyway, I thought it would be helpful to everyone for me to convey this information. I hope you find it enlightening if not useful.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong