[Colorado-Talk] What sighted people are saying about my book

Peggy Chong chongpeggy10 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 04:48:56 UTC 2021

Hello All:

I wanted to share a review of my book about Don Mahoney the blind television
star from Texas.  I hope you will all purchase a copy of my book and a few
extra for Christmas gifts.  This book is a great gift for your kids teacher.

Peggy Chong

 <https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58149879-don-mahoney> Don Mahoney:
Television Star
by

 <https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15100261.Peggy_Chong> Peggy Chong

 <https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/92367698-gloria-lesher>

 <https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/92367698-gloria-lesher> Gloria
Lesher's review

Aug 03, 2021

really liked it

The author's research into the early days of television was eye-opening for
me. I didn't realize how poorly paid the TV stars of the 1940s and 1950s
were. Don Mahoney was one of these hardy pioneers-and my respect for him
goes even higher because he was blind. The author asks a number of
challenging questions, such as, "Do we, disabled and non-disabled alike,
change our view of a person when we label them?" and "Do we see the label
first?" Perhaps our answers today are more enlightened than they were in Don
Mahoney's time, when he felt compelled to hide his disability from the
world, for fear of losing his livelihood.

This is a touching biography. Don grew up a rowdy, fun-loving and
goodhearted Texas boy who made his way to Hollywood, where he sang and did
stunt work. When his eyesight continued to deteriorate, Don landed a job as
a ranch hand, since good eyesight wasn't crucial for that kind of work. Six
feet tall, lanky, handsome, and with bright blue eyes, Don appealed to
people-especially children and ladies. Later, he became a dance instructor
and manager of a nightclub. In 1948, Don started his radio career with a
kiddie show on a Houston station, where he sang and played the guitar. He
also married a sighted Texas farm girl named Christine. The couple had four
daughters over the years that followed, as Don went from radio to a
television career. He was eventually outed by the media as a blind man, but
carried on as usual, being his witty, somewhat outrageous self. He made many
personal appearances, founded a portrait studio, produced albums, and
started a restaurant chain. Blindess never stopped this guy! His life story
is inspiring. Just as inspiring, the author herself is blind