[Colorado-Talk] VR Counsellor for School

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 20:33:37 UTC 2023

Hello Elizabeth:

May I assume that when you say, “VR counselor,” you mean a counselor who works with the Colorado vocational rehabilitation agency which provides services to blind persons who are needing or wanting help to secure training and employment? In my experience, this entire process of applying for and being approved to receive VR services is going to be a time-consuming process no matter what state’s agency you are going to work with. Here is a link to the website for the Colorado Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, affectionately referred to as DVR.

https://dvr.colorado.gov/

Because of the work of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado, Colorado DVR now has a Blindness and Low Vision Services (BLVS) unit <https://dvr.colorado.gov/dvr-programs-services/blind-and-low-vision-services> , which focuses on individuals who are blind/visually impaired. The links supplied here should help you to start learning about how the agency in Colorado might be able to help you. Much of the agency’s policies and procedures are documented online and are available for anyone who wants/needs to read them.

I hope this information points you in the right direction.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong