[Colorado-Talk] Colorado Voter Registration Info

juliazanon at comcast.net juliazanon at comcast.net
Sun Jan 7 20:34:49 UTC 2024

Greetings all!

This is one of several informational email messages hosted by the Aurora
Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado to help you
prepare for the 2024 elections.  This email covers Colorado election dates
and voter registration. Most of this information has been obtained directly
from the Colorado Secretary of State website at
<https://www.coloradosos.gov/voter/pages/pub/home.xhtml>
https://www.coloradosos.gov/voter/pages/pub/home.xhtml

This website is screen reader accessible.

The Aurora Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado is
offering this information to encourage blind citizens of Colorado to fully
participate in our democratic process and  choose the leaders who represent
us and our ideas.

Election Dates

2024 is a Presidential election year. The General Election will be on
Tuesday, November 5. Before then, there will be two primary elections in
which Colorado voters pick the candidates who will  appear on the November 5
ballot. In Colorado, the Presidential Primary Election is on Tuesday,  March
5. This is when Colorado voters will pick which Presidential candidates will
be on the November ballot. There will be another primary election on June
25, in which Colorado voters will pick the candidates for offices other than
President that will appear on the November 5 ballot.

For all registered voters, Colorado has universal mail in voting, and paper
ballots are  mailed to registered voters within 22 days of an election.
Since paper ballots are not accessible to blind and print-disabled voters,
Colorado allows eligible voters to use an accessible electronic ballot. We
will cover electronic voting in a follow up email.

Registering to Vote

If you already are a registered voter in Colorado, you can check your
status, sign up for ballot trax,find ballot information (Blue Book) and
verify information such as your mailing address and party affiliation. This
website is accessible for blind people using screen reading technology. The
web address is
<https://www.coloradosos.gov/voter/pages/pub/olvr/findVoterReg.xhtml>
https://www.coloradosos.gov/voter/pages/pub/olvr/findVoterReg.xhtml

If you are not yet registered to vote in Colorado, here is what you need to
know:

Q: Am I eligible to register to vote?
A: You are eligible to register to vote if you:

*                   Are a United States citizen

*                   Are 16 years old, but you must be at least 18 to vote in
an election

*                   Are a Colorado resident for at least 22 days immediately
before the election you intend to vote in

*                   Are not currently serving a term of imprisonment for a
felony conviction

Q: How do I register to vote?

A: You may register online at

 <http://www.GoVoteColorado.gov> www.GoVoteColorado.gov

This website is accessible using screen reading technology. The on-line
registration portal requires either a valid Social Security number, a
Colorado state issued identification card number or a valid Colorado
Driver's License number. People should not be put off by the CAPTCHA
protection which appears on these pages. There is a checkbox which you have
to mark indicating you are not a robot. You will not have to listen to an
audio CAPTCHA.

Q: What if I have an acceptable alternative form of identification or want
to register with a paper application?

A: Printable PDF  voter registration forms are available on the Secretary of
State's website. These forms are mostly accessible using screen reading
technology. Paper forms are also available from the county clerk and
recorder's office and any federal post office that provides voter
registration applications. You may then mail, fax, or scan and email your
complete and signed form to your county clerk and recorder's office.

You can also register to vote in-person. Registering to vote in-person may
be done at a physical office, which includes:

*        A Colorado Department of Motor Vehicle office when you apply for a
driver's license or state ID card;

*        Offices that provide public assistance, including offices that
provide state funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to
persons with disabilities. If you are a Colorado DVR participant, your
rehabilitation counselor will have voter registration applications and can
help you register;

*        Any federal, state, or local government office or any nongovernment
office that chooses to provide voter registration service or applications;
or

*        A voter service and polling center.

Q: If I don't have a Colorado driver's license, Colorado ID card, or social
security number, may I still register to vote?

A:  Yes. An applicant who is qualified to vote in this state but does not
have a driver's license, state-issued identification card, or social
security number may still register to vote. In such cases, the person may be
required to provide an acceptable form of identification. A list of
acceptable forms of identification can be found at
<http://www.govotecolorado.gov> www.govotecolorado.gov.

Q: How will I know if my registration was processed?

A: If you are registering to vote for the first time in the state of
Colorado, your application will be processed within 2 weeks. Approximately
20 days after your county clerk and recorder receives your registration
form, you will receive an official information card by mail.

Q: What information will I receive by email?

A: By choosing to receive election information by email, you may receive
information about upcoming election activities and other election
correspondence by email from your county clerk and recorder. But ballots and
some mailings will still be sent by regular mail. Under Colorado law, your
email address is protected. It will not be shared with anyone.

Q: Will my information be publicly available?

A: Some of the information you provide on this form is public information as
required by law. Your social security number, state identification  number,
month and day of birth, signature, and email are confidential. You may be
eligible to keep more of your voter information private. For details contact
your county clerk and recorder.

Q: What if I have more questions? How do I find the location and contact
info for my county election office and county clerk/recorder?

A: A list of county election offices and a list of contact information for
your county clerk (pdf document)  is found at this link:

<https://www.coloradosos.gov/pubs/elections/Resources/CountyElectionOffices.
html>
https://www.coloradosos.gov/pubs/elections/Resources/CountyElectionOffices.h
tml.

You can also find a list with contact information at
<http://www.govotecolorado.gov> www.govotecolorado.gov.

You may also contact the Secretary of State's office
Phone: 303-894-2200

Email:    <mailto:State.ElectionDivision at coloradosos.gov>
State.ElectionDivision at coloradosos.gov

Go Vote Colorado!