[Community-service] Volunteer organization websites

Catherine Michele Mitchell michmitch66 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 03:49:01 UTC 2014

Greetings, community-service-minded Federationists!

Here is a shortlist of volunteer organization websites compiled by the Research and Resource Committee. We hope this list will help you in putting together or participating in a service project in your area.

SITES TO GET YOU STARTED

General Audience

American Red Cross : “The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.”
http://www.redcross.org/support/volunteer

Center for National and Community Service (CNCS): Includes Americorps, Senior Corp, and Learn and Serve America.  “CNCS [provides service opportunities to volunteers] of all ages and backgrounds in six priority areas: disaster services, economic opportunity, education, environmental stewardship, healthy futures, and veterans and military families .”
http://www.nationalservice.gov/

GuideStar Directory of Charities and Nonprofit Organizations: a comprehensive list , but no information about volunteer opportunities.
http://www.guidestar.org/NonprofitDirectory.aspx

HandsOn Network: “…we inspire, equip and mobilize volunteers to take action that changes the world. “
http://www.handsonnetwork.org/

idealist.org: “Volunteer, work, intern, organize, hire and connect. Change the world .”
http://www.idealist.org/

United We Serve: “… President Obama’s nationwide service initiative, … aims to both expand the impact of existing organizations by engaging new volunteers in their work and encourage volunteers to develop their own ‘do-it-yourself’ projects.”
http://www.serve.gov/

VolunteerMatch : “Connect with what matters to you. Discover a way to give back that's meaningful to you, anywhere.”

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

Volunteer.gov  home page
http://www.volunteer.gov/

Sites Targeting Specific Groups or Causes
AARP (Association of American Retired Persons): matches senior citizens to volunteer opportunities.
http://volunteers.aarp.org/ones/ctg/campaigns/engagement/participate.htm?key=sem&trace=360i2011&contractInd=55594&CMP=KNC-360I-google-CTG&HBX_PK=volunteer_building_homes&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=volunteer%2Bbuilding%2Bhomes&utm_campaign=G_Volunteer%2BBuild&360cid=SI_225254801_27431234497_1

Catchafire:  matches professionals who want to give their skills with nonprofits and social enterprises that need them.
https://www.catchafire.org/

Habitat for humanity https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=habitat+for+humanity&revid=1101003523&sa=X&ei=X2ebUu28KdTfoATqyoDYDQ&ved=0CFUQ1QIoAQ&biw=320&bih=504
Mentor Up: “Mentor Up is all about young people helping older adults stay connected and adjust to the many challenges they face in today’s changing world.”
https://www.mentorup.org/about

National Volunteer Organizations Active in Disasters
http://www.dads.state.tx.us/providers/aaa/emergencyplanning/VOADnetwork.pdf

National trust volunteering opportunities
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=national+trust+volunteering+opportunities&revid=1101003523&sa=X&ei=X2ebUu28KdTfoATqyoDYDQ&ved=0CFkQ1QIoBQ&biw=320&bih=504
Teach For America
http://www.teachforamerica.org/m

U.S. National Park ServiceVolunteer