[Community-service] Service Year Opportunities and the Public Purposes of Higher Education

Darian Smith president at nfbcommunityservice.org
Tue Apr 12 16:30:58 UTC 2016

I saw the below on the Community Service Division’s Twitter  Timeline and thought I would share it with the list.  Thoughts?

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-j-seligsohn/service-year-opportunitie_b_9670542.html <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-j-seligsohn/service-year-opportunitie_b_9670542.html>
>
> Service Year Opportunities and the Public Purposes of Higher Education
>
> Education played a key role in the emergence of the United States as the world’s leading democracy in the twentieth century. One part of that story is the American experiment in free and compulsory primary and secondary education. But another crucial element is the role of an expanding higher education sector in contributing through teaching, research, and a myriad of other activities to the development of a national community with the capacity to work together to meet challenges and seize opportunities. Evidence abounds that the health of our democracy is threatened. My organization, Campus Compact, is taking steps to ensure higher education’s contribution to democratic renewal, and we believe national service opportunities can play a key role.
>
> Campus Compact is a coalition of colleges and universities dedicated to the public purposes of higher education. Our members are public and private; two-year and four-year; urban, suburban, and rural; tiny liberal arts colleges and massive research universities. While they differ in nearly every respect, Campus Compact members share a core belief: that higher education must contribute to the health and strength of our democracy.
>
> In anticipation of this year’s 30th anniversary, the leadership of Campus Compact took a look at our work in the context of growing inequality and deepening polarization and asked what more we must do to ensure that higher education maximizes its contribution to the public good. We are organized as a network of state and regional Compact, so we engaged leaders from across the network in this discussion. What specific commitments should colleges and universities make to enrich the education of students for citizenship? How can colleges and universities build more effective partnerships to advance progress toward a more just, equitable, and sustainable democracy?
>
> Through a participatory, network-wide process involving students, faculty, staff, administrators, and community partners, we developed a document crystallizing the commitments we collectively saw as essential for colleges and universities to make. The Campus Compact 30th Anniversary Action Statement commits each college and university to take bold steps—embodied in a Campus Civic Action Plan—to make good on our shared principles.
>
> Thus far, roughly 370 college and university presidents have signed on, committing to act to realize five key commitments:

> [...]

Darian Smith
President, National Federation  of the Blind Community Service Division

Web: www.nfbcommunityservice.org

Twitter: @NFBCSDivision, at goldengateace

Facebook: search for “National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division"

E-mail: president at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:president at nfbcommunityservice.org>

(415)215-9809

blindness is not what holds you back.
 “We need your service, right now, at this moment - our moment - in history. I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up; ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history” — Barack Obama
 Help drive change for the blind .
Donate your car to the National Federation of the Blind today!
For more information, please visit: www.carshelpingtheblind.org <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> or call 1-855-659-9314
“