[Community-service] We don't volunteer?

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 16:26:25 UTC 2016

The Ohio affiliates70th Anniversary convention ended on Sunday and I
must say that because of an abundance of volunteers blind and sighted
it was the absolute best event ever held! In the exhibit hall the
noise level was tremendous and many of our exhibitors jumped right in
to assist people, sighted and blind. On yesterday I was in tears from
the many phone calls, e mails and fb postings from volunteers that
were thanking us for introducing them to the nfb. They expressed how
impressed they were with the level of  professionalisim and
organization we displayed. It was amazing to here these sentiments
because, we don't think about it too much, we just do it!
Living in Cleveland where there are numerous non profit agencies we
have many, many volunteers. Without them most of these agencies would
have to close their doors.
At the rehab facility, Cleveland Sight Center, blind individuals are
encouraged to volunteer. Especially within the recreation department,
leading various activities, line dancing, fitness classes, braille,
crochet and crafts, book discussion and sailing. Many of us are
vsharing our skills with churches, schools and other businesses...
Now the question is. Is this easy, sometimes it is not but,  our
persistence and confidence usually win the day!
Living the life I want in the city of Champions, Cleveland, Ohio! Cheryl Fields