[Community-Service] WE DO IT BIGGER & BETTER COMMUNITY SERVICE DIVISION CHALLENGE

Jeanetta Price price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 23:01:46 UTC 2020

In celebration of National Volunteer Week, April 19-25, 2020, organizations
across the country honor volunteers for the irreplaceable impact of their
service to others. Cleveland Chapter of the National Federation of the
Blind of Ohio will kick off The “WE DO IT BIGGER & BETTER!” NFB Community
Service Challenge with one submission that entailed three community service
endeavors. Talk about overachievers! You will be inspired by their quality
of service to others, and motivated to get involved where you are. Without
further ado, I share with you, Cleveland Chapter’s community service
endeavors.

“We have many more, but we are most proud of those below! (I) The National
Federation of the Blind of Cleveland, Greater Cuyahoga County and the Ohio
Affiliate, co-hosted a forum with the Cleveland City Planning Commission in
Cleveland Ohio on last Thursday. The topic was on Shared Riding safety
regulations. We were inspired about the productive exchange of ideas, and
look forward to continuing to work together to increase accessibility
through improved policies and practices on E-Bikes and Dockless Electric
Scooters. The insight that was shared by each panelist demonstrated
commitment and dedication to the meaningful conversation from vendors, the
blind community and City Hall from the evening. This exchange of ideas and
contributions was inspiring and quite informative. The National Federation
of the Blind of Cleveland and Greater Cuyahoga County are looking forward
in continuing our strong partnership with the City of Cleveland. We also
extend our gratitude for their willingness to include the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio in any new pedestrian guidelines that might
need input on accessibility for persons with disabilities. -- In the
picture from left to right is, The back row are Michael Beck (Spin); Freddy
Collier, Jr. (City Planning Commission); Royce Kranz (Lime); Calley
Mersmann (City Planning Commission); Kingston Smartt-Nalli (VeoRide);
Richard Payne (NFB); Abhijit Kulkarni (Wheels); and Eric Duffy (NFB). The
front row, Barbara Pierce (NFB) and Suzanne Turner (NFB)
[image: image.png]

(2) The Cleveland Chapter has partnered with St. Adalbert Elementary School
for five years now, following their classroom assignments that include
learning about the blind. In March, “Read Across America” is celebrated by
reading Dr. Seuss books. So, Cleveland join in with the children by reading
twin books “Print on one-side and Braille on the other side”. We, the blind
will read the Braille, while a sighted child stands beside us reading
print. This is an awesome experience for them and us taking turns reading
the same text together. Additionally, the children have learned to identify
Braille on doorways, elevators and other identifiable objects for the
blind. They also are excited when Cleveland visits providing them with once
again Braille cards. They can not seem to get enough of those. Cleveland
has also demonstrated white cane travel and provided awareness and
education about guide dog handling. This is a highlight for the students.
It never fails, their eyes gleam and voices were raised with seeing Mateo,
who is a black lab in the Cleveland Chapter. He is definitely a hit! Our
hope is that one or more of the children will with any luck become inspired
to teach, mentor, and or advocate for the Blind. Working with St. Adalbert
Elementary school is a passion, but a vital factor in what we are
attempting to accomplish through diminishing low expectations of the blind,
by teaching the youth of today that we are just people who can not see. ///
(3) The National Federation of the Blind of Cleveland offered a seminar
called, “adjusting to Blindness, An Introductory Seminar”, that was held on
October 5, 2019 at a local Cleveland Public Library. This was an
introductory Seminar for newly blind individuals that highlighted best
practices by Peer Mentors from the National Federation of the Blind of
Cleveland. The philosophy of the NFB was presented, along with the “value
of alternative techniques of blindness, and the solid belief that it is
okay to be blind.” During the seminar, four small sessions were offered by
Peer Mentors for newly blind individuals and their supportive companions to
learn about alternative ways to continue everyday living. These small
settings offered the participants guidance, advice, assistance and
demonstrations from a real-world point of view. Hence, sharing knowledge
and experiences in order to help the participants succeed was our main
objective. Having a wonderful trusted ally to go to whenever blind people
are feeling unsure or in need is why the NFB is here. We wanted to meet the
needs of each participant in moving forward at their own pace and under
their own control. We started with a (General Session) for all attendees
Part I: The goal of this Session was to introduce the National Federation
of the Blind (NFB). Part II: The goal of this Session was to introduce
Basic Techniques and products for everyday use. Part III: The goal of this
session was to Identify, explore and recommend community resources to
enhance activities, to become involved in one’s residential area, and to
increase peer interaction and support. Then, the (Breakout Sessions) had 4
attendees present with a total of 16 participants in the seminar. These
participants rotated through four sessions; having an opportunity to
interact with Peer Mentors and explore “hands on” products, technology, and
practical methods. For instance, SESSION A: Title: Staying Connected,
accessing print and electronic media. This overview of aids, appliances,
and services that enable blind individuals to fully access mainstream means
of communication media, ranging from use of standard telephones and note
taking to reading books, periodicals, text messages, email, and web pages
were introduced. Also, Session B: Title: Literacy for the Blind, Reading
and Writing Braille. This Session provided a preliminary summary on what is
meant by Braille, who invented Braille, when Braille was invented, and what
are the benefits of learning Braille. Participants discovered where to
learn Braille, what the different grades of Braille were, what the
different codes of Braille were in the USA, what tools are used for writing
Braille and what resources are available for Braille literacy. Finally,
Session C: Title: Assistive Technology and Session D Title: Orientation and
Mobility (O&M) provided an overview of basic concepts for the newly blind
participants and their supportive companions. The Seminar also included a
member who has a License in Mental Counseling, that facilitated a session
on Coping with Vision Loss. This Peer Mentor provided a comfortable forum
for the participants to discuss their experiences of vision loss. In
addition, there was a Q/A opportunity as well that offered information on
social community services for individual and group support, such as 211,
personal insurance and other general services. The Adjustment to Blindness
seminar was researched, written, developed, and facilitated by the
Cleveland Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. We are
Peer Mentors offering information, demonstrations, and support for those
who have been affected by loss of vision or total blindness. We have
included supportive companions in the sessions to provide an open,
unobscured view on living with blindness. Both parties were provided the
same opportunity to discover every aspect of the seminar. In addition,
literature and supported researched documentation on Braille literacy,
orientation and mobility, assistive technology and low vision aids will
continually be readily available to all attendees, which will assist with
sourcing, advocacy and declaration. Although, all sessions will be
conducted by members of the NFB of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter, their
professional expertise speaks for itself. These skilled individuals are
employed or have retired from, Social Work, Social Services, Licensed
Mental Counseling, Licensed Orientation and Mobility, Assistive Technology,
Education, and more. Consequently, this invaluable endeavor is a volunteer
project and donations for products, refreshments, transportation and other
incidentals are sponsored by the NFB or community means. No fundraising or
solicitation will be presented or received by the organization. Moreover,
the sessions are solely to provide literature, demonstrations, community
resources, and peer support for those who are seeking an answer and
resolution. Thus, it is a response to their plea that will enable them to
become motivated, socially engaged, self-determined and financially
fruitful. We are conducting this Seminar throughout the year and hope that
it will make a positive impact for those who are newly blind and not
necessarily seeking employment. Hence, Baby Boomers are crying out for help
and the Cleveland Chapter is doing our best to answer their call.

The Cleveland Chapter has felt rewarded and honored to provide the
community with innovative and educational opportunity that has positively
impacted the overall community. The passion, compassion and commitment that
is shown by our members have moved into the suburbs and beyond. Blindness
is very prevalent today among seniors and adults who are newly impacted and
not seeking employment. There are no services for them. So, we are stepping
up to the plate. Also, our children must learn about people differences so
they can improve the world of disabilities by becoming technologist,
instructors, physicians and just good and respectful people. Finally, our
stakeholders and government officials must include the blind in their
policy and regulations for the community; so that we are not injured or
forgotten in their decision making process.

Creating events and trainings that have provided awareness, inclusion and
innovative ideas to help blind people in and beyond Ohio. On the other
hand, just getting people to buy-in to believing that the blind has the
expertise to make a difference. After working with the community, you gain
their respect and admiration. But, it is hard work and sometimes
disheartening to continually have to prove that you are capable,
intelligent and resourceful.

Thank you so much for leading by example NFB Cleveland Chapter, your
service speaks volumes about your leadership. We would love to hear about
your community service too. Tap on the link below, and join the movement of
changing our communities one service at a time. Please like, share, and
comment.

At your service,

Jeanetta Price, President NFB Community Service Division