[Community-Service] Monday Motivation #GetInvolved #CommunityService #VolunteersRock

Jeanetta price price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:24:10 UTC 2020

Inspiring young writers.

"I have always been an avid creative writer, both professionally and for fun. So when I came across the opportunity to help low-income children who also love creative writing do it for fun, I totally jumped at it. A couple other volunteers and I met with a group of about 12 kids at a community center in Harlem, New York City, a couple evenings a month, working with them to craft both short and long stories. The sky was the limit — they could write about whatever they wanted — and doodling all over their work was totally encouraged! The creative energy bursting from these kids at 6 p.m., after a full day of school and after-school activities, was unbelievably inspiring — and being able to help and encourage them to bring their robot dogs, rainbows that stretched across the world, and trips to space to life on the page was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. There will be some serious novelists coming out of that group, that's for sure!"~Victoria H.