[Community-Service] May 2021 Newsletter

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 23:03:03 UTC 2021

National Federation of the Blind

Community Service Division

May 2021 Newsletter

*“Beyond The Six Dots”*

We use a white cane, slate & stylus, and screen readers in between,

We read from the left, write from the right, and will tap tap onto any
scene.

We want our communities to know what we’ve got, a commitment to serve, *Beyond
the Six Dots!”*

*Are you the next Community Service Division Idol?*

Learn the Community service Jingle Lyrics. Practice it with friends and
family. Finally, zoom into the division national seminar prepared to blow
the judges away with the passion and love in your voice for service.

* Please sing along with us!*

“We are the community service.

Helping all over the land.

We are the community service

Helping all that we can

Because we are

the community service

We are the community service.

Inviting you to join in the plan

We are the community service

A part of the NFB clan

SERVING AND LIVING

ALL BECAUSE WE CAN.”

 Written by Board Member, Ms. Samuel JoNita Gates

*ROLLING OUT THE RED CARPET*

2021 Community Service Project

Collection deadline *June 4th, 2021*

“Give A Little”

Our newest community service project. It’s an opportunity to bring

smiles, hope, encouraging words, and warmth to the Ronald McDonald

House Charity in Maryland! This is a home away from home for seriously

ill children and their families.

What We Need?

SMILES times 2!

We are writing notes of encouragement to the families and children

staying at the Ronald McDonald House

(Please refrain from any religious messaging.  If you’re going to

braille your letters, please include a companion print copy.)

WARMTH times 4!

We are providing comfort to the families and children by collecting

new blankets.  These cozy and warm throws should be child safe and

brand new.

*DEADLINE JUNE 4th*

Ship Items To:

Jeanetta Price

*8035 San Bruno Street
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/8035+San+Bruno+Street++%0D%0A+Beaumont,+Texas+77+708?entry=gmail&source=g>*

*Beaumont, Texas 77
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/8035+San+Bruno+Street++%0D%0A+Beaumont,+Texas+77+708?entry=gmail&source=g>708
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/8035+San+Bruno+Street++%0D%0A+Beaumont,+Texas+77+708?entry=gmail&source=g>*

For more information send an email to Jeanetta Price at:

*price.jeanetta at gmail.com
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/2ivetu5723dk/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=price.jeanetta@gmail.com>*

Give a hug with,

SMILES & WARMTH!!!!

*#StrongerTogether Challenge*

Share your service with us, double tap on the link and get involved!

Say it with me, “Challenge accepted!” We can’t stop, won’t stop serving!
The NFB Community Service Division thanks you for accepting the challenge.
We have experienced some testing times during this pandemic, which is a
prime example of us being #StrongerTogether as we spread the power of
giving anywhere and everywhere. Service can certainly start here and
continue here with our division’s challenge.  This challenge will help keep
us united in service throughout our various neighborhoods across our
country.  What follows is a questionnaire designed to collect detailed
information of your volunteer efforts *starting January 1, 2021 through
June 30, 2021*.

*https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe8HWsUDqzaairJZg1p_RcFe3pFemWYDXXSatdaG_n6AjeTiw/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0&usp=mail_form_link&usp=embed_facebook
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe8HWsUDqzaairJZg1p_RcFe3pFemWYDXXSatdaG_n6AjeTiw/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0&usp=mail_form_link&usp=embed_facebook>*

*2020 COMMUNITY SERVICE DIVISION CHALLENGE WINNER*

*Miranda Borka’s Refection*

As a volunteer crisis counselor, I received 30 hours of training. My
experience with the training platform as someone who is visually impaired
and uses assistive technology was pretty positive. In the areas where the
technology did not cooperate, I utilized Aira at a free Aira free access
location to complete those inaccessible portions of training. Overall, the
training was comprehensive. The support I have received prior to, during,
and following my training has been top-notch. My coach is always available
to answer questions when I am not actively engaging with texters on the
platform. My fellow crisis counselors and supervisors have also been a
welcoming wealth of knowledge and support on the platform as well.
Supervisors are mental health professionals, and as someone pursuing my
master’s in social work, this encourages me as I enter the profession.
There are numerous tools and resources that are updated frequently to
further aid crisis counselors in engaging our texters. Crisis counselors
are encouraged and motivated to grow, and organizational leadership has
been receptive to making necessary changes to embrace overall growth and
development.

*POP FROM THE TOP*

The NFB COMMUNITY SERVICE DIVISION is proud to announce that we are popping
in service all over the world. Our annual fundraiser begins on Tuesday, *June
15-19, 2021* *at 5PM EASTERN TIME*. Proceeds gained from this fundraiser
will support the efforts of the federation in addition to help promote the
Community Service Division projects. With that being said, get your popcorn
ready, 'cause the Community Service Division is going to show everyone
everywhere that we can’t stop and won’t stop POPPING! I pop, you pop, we
all pop for *Double Good Gourmet Delicious Popcorn.*

Please contact Gloria Nathan-Cherry “The Popcorn Lady” for more information
at (215)-971-6650.

Love is sharing your popcorn, and sharing is caring so let’s pop in the
name of love.

*CREATE WHAT YOU IMAGINATE*

The Community Service Division is calling on all visionaries! Our

‘Beyond The Six Dots’ newsletter title is missing one thing; a fabulous
logo! I’m glad you are wondering what this means to you. We want your help
in creating the best logo to pair with our newsletter title. Draw it, paint
it, stencil it, however you do it, dream it then share it! All creations
need to be submitted by *June 30th*! The final

selection will be announced in July during the virtual national convention!
Fabulous logo ideas are to be emailed to: ravensfan784 at gmail.com
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/2ivetu5723dk/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=ravensfan784@gmail.com>
with
the subject line, ‘Logo Submission’. We

can’t wait to see what your imagination creates!

*THE IMPACT OF WAR*

*On May 31st, 2021*, we will remember the brave men and women who made

the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country. Presidents, politicians,
public figures and foreign dignitaries will lay wreaths on thousands of
tombs of the Unknown soldiers in Arlington National Cemetery. As we
remember and honor our heroes, we want to count our blessings and stand
proud of our service members. We have freedom because of courageous
individuals like Lee Martin Senior of Indiana. After serving in the Vietnam
war, he attended Indiana State University

where he took business courses and went into management. His experience and
work ethics led him to pursue other opportunities in Indianapolis, Indiana
where he resides today. He worked for Daimler Chrysler for seven years as a
Foundry Technician and Safety Coordinator prior to losing his eyesight.
Lee lost his sight to a condition called sclerotic. His condition, however,
did not stop him from continuing his efforts to fight for the rights of
others. His federal lawsuit was featured in The Indianapolis Star
newspaper, Braille Monitor as well as the Indiana Business Journal for
employment discrimination. He continues his activism doing presentations
around the state of Indiana to the general public and to the blind
community to engage, encourage and inspire Indiana citizens to pursue their
inalienable rights.  As president of the Circle City Chapter of the
National Federation of the Blind, Lee and his chapter brings awareness to
the urban community with outreach initiatives with, churches, community
centers, summer youth camps, support groups, Town Hall meetings etc.

Lee Martin Senior is an admirable leader not only in the blind

community, but in the community at-large. A true inspiration of

resilience despite the unforeseen circumstances he was faced with. His
philosophy is that “this is a gift of blindness” that was given to do

the work God intended. We are honored to call Lee Martin Senior an American
veteran and have been blessed by his invaluable contribution to the blind
community.

This Memorial Day, we invite you to take a moment of silence *at 3:00*

pm EST as we remember those who courageously gave their lives.

*WE’VE GOT SUNSHINE!*

We believe there is power in the ability to laugh. Here’s your

sunshine for the month of May celebrations!

*National Barbecue Month*

“I was at a barbecue party when a cow from a nearby farm charged me

and chased me into a corner. It was at that moment I realized my life

was at steak!”

*MAXIMIZE THE FLAVOR*

Recipe for BBQ BABY BACK RIBS

by Marvin Griffin “Griff the Great!”

Prep Time: I don’t know? LOL

Cook Time: Nice and slow

Ingredients:

1 slab baby back pork ribs

yellow mustard

BBQ rub (your favorite)

brown sugar

bourbon

apple juice.

1.    Rinse slab and pat dry with paper towels. Using a butterknife

Remove membrane from backbones of ribs. This allows the seasoning to

set in the meat between the bones.

2.     Squeeze a line of mustard onto the ribs as a binder.  This helps

the BBQ rub to stick.

3.     Sprinkle the BBQ rub, liberally, on both sides of rib.

4.     Lightly coat both sides with brown sugar.

5.      Allow the ribs to sit out for about 30 minutes. This allows the

meat to get to room temperature which gives a more evenly cooked slab

of ribs.

6.      Set your grill up to maintain a temperature of 225 degrees F. Add

wood splits or chunks (pecan, apple, hickory, or whatever your

preference is). This adds a great smoke flavor to the meat!

7.      Allow the meat to continue to smoke for at least 2 ½ to 3 hours,

checking the temperature with your meat thermometer. The desired

cooked temperature for pork is around 160°F.

8.     Make a fifty-fifty mixture using your favorite bourbon and apple

juice, then pour into a spray bottle.

9.      While the ribs are on the smoker, you will use this mixture to

spray the meat every 30 minutes or so. This will allow the meat to

stay moist while it cooks.

10.      Once the meat reaches the desired temperature, then you can wrap

the ribs in a heavy-duty aluminum foil. Before you close the foil

completely, add a little bit more of the bourbon apple juice mixture

around the ribs. Wrapping these ribs will allow them to continue to

absorb the flavor and moisture as the ribs continue to cook.

11.     Allow the ribs to smoke for an additional 2 hours. You also have

the option to finish cooking the ribs in an oven at the same

temperature.

12.     To check if the ribs are ready to eat, the little bones at the

end of the rib should be sticking out about an inch or so.

13.     Ribs are done! If you want extra sauce, add a little more BBQ

sauce, then place the ribs back on the grill or in the oven for 7 to

10 more minutes.

Bon Appetit!!

*“I GOT IT FROM MY MAMA” Community Service Division May meeting reflections
of how our mothers influenced our community service.*

*Kamille Richardson’s reflection*

The community service division of the National Federation of the Blind

recently hosted A Mother’s Day event entitled “I got it from my Mama.”

President Jeanetta Price, who also served as the hostess with the

mostest, headed up this momentous occasion with her grace and a flair

that is uniquely her own. participants in the program were given 90

seconds to reflect on their mother and how she influenced them to

serve in their community. A few of us even brought our own mamas into

the festivities so they could add their 90 seconds of flavor to the

mix. I was honored to speak about my mother and how she has made such a
tremendous impact on my life and the lives of others. I was also

grateful that she was able to share her story as well. I was moved to

tears while listening to my fellow members reflect on the beautiful

contributions of their mother. There were also plenty of door prizes

sprinkled throughout the program. This event was fit for the queens

that are our mothers.

*Misty Hagan’s Reflection*

I am very blessed to have had an opportunity to talk about the three

inspirational women in my life. I shared how I cannot see myself being the
woman that I am today without their love & kindness. I asked my son,
Joshua, if he would join the ‘I Got It From My Mama’ event. He

was so moved by the stories; he surprised me and spoke at the event.

To hear him say, “I love you, Mom! You are my best friend and I will

always look at you as my role model. You chose to be my Mom; I am so

lucky you did.” I was at a loss for words when I heard him speak. I

could not have asked for a better gift.

*Gloria Nathan-Cherry Reflection*

I would like to thank Ms. Jeanetta Price for giving me the opportunity to
share my mother, Ms. Georgia Ann Nathan during the “I Got It From My Mama“
program.  This was bitter sweet for me because my mother passed away 23
years ago but I really enjoyed reflecting on some of the things that she
instilled in me. Her teaching taught me the importance of community service
and volunteering to help others. I

can still hear her saying, “Sharing is caring” and “Caring is sharing. I
will always remember that these words show how important it is to

make time for others.

*                In Loving Memory of*

*             “Mrs. Irene Townsend”*

*                A Celebration of life!*

On behalf of the Community Service Division, we send our deepest
condolences to Talana Townsend and your family. We thank you so much for
sharing your mother with all of us during our program, “I got it from my
MAMA!” You spoke of your mother with so much love, passion, admiration, and
respect till we all felt like we knew her by the end of your presentation.
It was wonderful to hear a young woman reflect back on all of the positive
things that her mother had instilled in her life. We all know that these
qualities will remain with you all throughout your life, and we are
grateful that you shared with us the wonderful woman who instilled all
these values in you.

Written by Gloria Nathan-Cherry

*Words of encouragement*

The season of transitioning to a perfect place of peaceful rest. We want to
encourage you to keep speaking boldly about your mom, and how she
influenced your service to others. We will continue to keep your family in
prayer. We love you and God Bless! “What we once have enjoyed we can never
lose. All that we love deeply becomes part of us.”– Helen Keller

*Mental Health Awareness Month*

*KEEP MOVING FORWARD*

*Contributors: Rachele Tibbs, Brooke Motes, Marlene Wilson*

Being a housewife, you come to expect certain life adjustments. The

ten-year-old fell off his bike and fractured his third base throwing

arm. The five-year-old turns out to be allergic to bees and the nearest
hospital is an hour away. The husband is supposing to pick up

the family from the dental office, but the car breaks down on the

highway. No need to panic, Moms do what Moms do. They quickly spin

through their mental rolodex and find the best solution for their

family. All of my life.  I watched my own Mom, Aunts, and Grandmas do

whatever it took to take care of our family” Marlene recalls. But then, one
day the news media started using alien words like pandemic, COVID-19,
corona virus, and stay at home orders. Without warning panic, confusion and
mass chaos ensued the entire world!

Families far and wide had no choice but to buckle down and find ways

to pull their loved ones through these unprecedented times. Brooke didn’t
expect to become her kids home-school teacher. Rachele felt she was putting
her Mom at risk every time she came home from working at the grocery store.
And Marlene never thought she would have to make the choice between having
food in the cupboard or using the last of the money to pay rent. For most
of 2020, it felt like this virus was determined to shake this planet to its
core.

How do we remain positive, strong, healthy, and resilient during this
pandemic? Rachele started making yoga and meditation a priority in her

fay-to-day routine. “It helps remove the everyday stresses of life and

allows me to focus on being calm.” For Brooke, working out has given

her energy and has helped her to feel better about her body and overall
health. “I use a smart app that is very descriptive with all its workouts,
along with my light weights and treadmill machine.” Marlene found renewed
strength in power walking with her church family. “I don’t mind wearing the
mask just as long as we can continue to fellowship together!”

These beautiful Moms knew they had to be proactive or the world’s

worries were going to swallow them whole. They had come too far in

life to keep allowing a pandemic to shelter them from happiness or

self-confidence. Brooke, Marlene, and Rachele took charge by setting

personal goals for themselves. And decided it was long overdue for

some Me time! In doing so, they have rediscovered joy, hope, love,

peace, and forgiveness. These empowered women found ways to keep moving
forward!

*MOVING FORWARD CHECKLIST*

-    Treat yourself with kindness and respect.

-    Listen to what your body needs.

-    Surround yourself with the best people.

-    Volunteer your time and energy.

-    Learn how to deal with stress.

-    Make time for quiet

-    Set realistic goals for yourself

-    Don’t be afraid of change

*TURNING TRADEGY INTO TRIUMPH*

*By Jason Jones*

For the past 15 months, this world has witnessed great loss on a scale

never experienced in our lifetime.  Yes, we do experience the loss of

a loved one from time to time.  However, this pandemic has shown me that
life is very precious and should not be taken lightly.  People

may ask: why does the Lord allow such tragedy to occur at once?

There are times where the Lord will use a major event in life to

instantly grab our attention.  How do we turn such great tragedy into
triumph? The first thing we need to remember is that just because a

pandemic is taking place, does not mean God’s plan changes for your

life.  I always remember to count my blessings even more now than ever.
Let us also remember to love on each other even more due to life being so
precious. Take the time to remember all of the positives in your life each
day. The best way to overcome tragedy is to face it.

There is no need to fear that which the Lord has given us the power to

beat.  Since this pandemic started, I have realized each moment is a

gift. Remember that all victory is based on overcoming any tragedy

in life.  I know for certain that the light is staring us in the face in
terms of the pandemic coming to an end.  The Lord will continue to see us
through the situation no matter the intensity.  I love you all, and
continue to keep your eyes on Christ.

‘*Represent Your State’*

Utah State Convention

*June 3rd to June 5th, 2021*

Location: Hybrid - Sheraton, Salt Lake City and on Zoom

For more information, please visit *nfbutah.org/info
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfbutah.org%2Finfo&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEZur_NNDqbBP7TrfMSKY3NJVXIkA>*
.

Save these dates! Don’t be late, make sure you clear your slate and

serve with style!

*RESOURCES*

You are not alone. Help is available. If you are in crisis and need

help immediately, please consult one of the following toll-free

national hotlines or contact your local police or emergency services.

All hotlines are free.

Child Help: *(800) 422-4453*

Provides *24/7* assistance in 170 languages to adults, children and

youth with information and questions regarding child abuse. All calls

are anonymous and confidential.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: *(800) 273-8255*

Support and assistance *24/7* for anyone feeling depressed, overwhelmed

or suicidal.

National Domestic Violence Hotline: *(800) 799-7233*

National call center refers to local resources; Spanish plus 160 other

languages available; no caller ID used.

National Sexual Assault Hotline: *(800) 656-4673*

Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network - RAINN)

Nationwide referrals for specialized counseling and support groups:

*(800) 656-4673*

Routes calls to local sex assault crisis centers for resources and

referrals. Spanish available.

*EDITOR’S NOTES*

We want to help promote your community projects and state affiliate events.
Share your calendar with Beyond The Six Dots and we will

feature your events in the ‘Represent Your State’ section of our next

issue. Contact our editor to submit your calendar events.

NFB Community Service Division

*www.facebook.com/communityservicedivision/
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fcommunityservicedivision%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH7LkeMNhzk0-4LXM6ICmdUIIqviA>*

President Jeanetta Price

Email: *price.jeanetta at gmail.com
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/2ivetu5723dk/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=price.jeanetta@gmail.com>*

Mobile: *(409) 344-1005*

Newsletter Editor: Maggie Stringer

Email: *Ravensfan784 at gmail.com
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/2ivetu5723dk/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=Ravensfan784@gmail.com>*

Mobile: *(443) 750-0070*

*ONE MINUTE MESSAGE*

*The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams. We are survivors!*