[Ct-nfb] Legislative Alert from National Convention

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Wed Jul 6 22:17:27 UTC 2011

I would like to share what I wrote to Senator Blumenthal regarding this
ACT.

July  6, 2011
Dear  Senator Blumenthal:
I am  writing to you with my concern of  Section 511 from Title V
of the  Workforce Investment Act (WIA).    Section 511  reauthorizes
payment of subminimum wages to people with disabilities. It is  completely
contrary to the purpose of the
Rehabilitation Act, which is intended to promote competitive,  integrated
employment.
I went blind 14 years ago suddenly  and had worked in the medical field
prior to going blind.  I just  returned back to working and received my first
pay check last week.  I am working at a job in New Haven  caining chairs and
had been in a 6 month training under the Board of Education  Services for
the Blind.  I was  receiving an hourly wage over the minimum wage through
this work program.  I understood once the training was  finished I would be
placed on a piece work wage.
Last  week I received my first check off the training and I was paid by my
piece work  rate.  For 5 hours of work I  received a total of $3.60.    I
paid $12.00 for my 2 transit bus rides up to New Haven and back to my  home in
Stratford.
This  is a true example of what this section will allow.
Yours  Truly,
Joyce  Kane

In a message dated 7/6/2011 2:52:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,