[Ct-nfb] TRANSPORTATION

Suzanne Westhaver swesthaver at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 20:48:14 UTC 2011

Hi Debbie,

I use paratransit every day to get to and from work.  If you have a set schedule, it helps if you can get paratransit to put you on a regular pick-up.  This helps them with scheduling and helps you because you won’t need to constantly call to schedule a ride.  You can also schedule to get there early because it’s better to be early than late for work.  Every district is different but I use Waterbury and my rate is set and I buy books of tickets.  You should call the paratransit where you live to find out what their hours of operation are and the rate per ride.

I used to work 8-5 and when I got picked up in the morning, I had a bus full of other commuters.  I work 7 to 3:30 now and ride regularly with two other people.  My afternoon ride varies.  It can take a half hour to an hour or more to get home depending on the driver’s schedule, but your bigger concern will be with getting there on time rather than getting home.

Waterbury is pretty dependable.  Years ago they were not so good, but they have definitely improved.

If you are in another paratransit district, find someone who uses their service to find out what the dependability, etc. is.

Also, some districts have connections while others do not so depending on where you live and what area your paratransit covers may limit the area where you can seek employment unless you are in a position to relocate for work.

Hope this information is helpful.