[Ct-nfb] Birdies for Charity

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Mon May 16 18:53:46 UTC 2011

Birdies for Charity

For one amazing week in June, Connecticut welcomes the PGA TOUR and hundreds of thousands of energized fans to the Travelers Championship. Connecticut's PGA TOUR event is the largest professional sporting event in Connecticut and as the only PGA TOUR stop in the Northeast.

In 2004, the Travelers Championship launched the Birdies for Charity program. Birdies for Charity provides every 501 (c) (3) in Connecticut an opportunity to raise funds by collecting pledges based on the number of birdies made by PGA TOUR professionals during the week. At the conclusion of the tournament, the Travelers Championship calculates the number of birdies made by the pledge amounts and distributes invoices to each donor. For example, if an individual makes a 1-cent pledge and there are 1,500 birdies made, that individual would make a donation of $15 to the charity of their choice. At the conclusion of the pledge collection season, the Travelers Championship returns 100% of collected pledges to the participating charities.

For non-golfers, a birdie is a score of one stroke better than par for any golf hole. Par is the normal expected score for a professional golfer on any given hole. PGA TOUR professionals are anticipated to make an average of 1,500-2,000 birdies, Wednesday - Sunday (June 22-26) of the Travelers Championship.

The National Federation of the Blind is the largest organization of blind people in the world. Each state has an affiliate, and I'm writing to you to request sponsorship for the NFB of CT in this year's Travelers Championship. Raised funds will help to provide information and resources to newly blind people, fund our scholarship program, help purchase training and technology for blind job seekers, and help us to achieve our mission to change what it means to be blind.

Donations can be made at the link below, either as a flat rate, or as a 'per birdie' pledge. If you are uncomfortable pledging on-line, you can print a pledge form and submit it to me: Chris Kuell, 12 Pleasant Street, Danbury CT 06810.

As an additional bonus and reason to participate, there's the "Guess the Birdies Sweepstakes". This sweepstakes allows donors to guess how many birdies will be made from Wednesday - Sunday of the Travelers Championship. At the end of the tournament, the birdies will be calculated and the donor that accurately guessed the total number of birdies will receive a $500 Visa Gift Card, and the NFB of CT will get a $500 additional donation.

https://events.r2it.com/BIRDIES/DefaultPage/TravelersChampionship/Default.aspx?site=TravelersChampionship&siteId=32&charity=TheNationalFederationoftheBlindofConnecticu&charityId=3087

Nobody enjoys fund-raising, especially me, but I think this is an easy and fun way to generate much-needed funding to carry on the valuable work we do. Thank you for your support.

Kind regards,

Chris Kuell