[Ct-nfb] Job Listing

Salisbury, Justin Mark SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu
Sun Apr 22 01:19:57 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

     I was reading over the job listing that was recently posted on our listserv, and I wanted to ask how people felt about the concept of it.  I feel like this type of assistant might be good in the very short term for someone who has no blindness skills and needs help acquiring the services that they need to obtain decent blindness skills, but, if this type of assistant becomes a long-term provider for blind people, it could be doing them more of a disservice than a service.  As my screen reader was reading the job description, I kept hearing "custodial, low expectations, custodial, low expectations..."

Philosophy Question:
Do you all think that this type of assistant should be provided to blind people on a long-term basis?

I have attached a PDF copy of the job listing to this email for your convenience.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Undergraduate Student
The Honors College
East Carolina University
salisburyj08 at students.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD