[Ct-nfb] response to comments about job listing

Salisbury, Justin Mark SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu
Fri Apr 27 02:18:01 UTC 2012

Hi Barb,

Having a reader or a driver or someone to run errands is not where I read the custodial nature with low expectations.

Readers and drivers for the reasons you named do not compromise the dignity of the blind employee.  Having a gopher to run errands is a simple economic concept based on the opportunity cost of the skilled employee's time.

You have changed my interpretation of the job description for the better, and I appreciate that.  I think a key thing to recognize when reading the job description is that running errands isn't needed because the employee is blind; it's because the blind employee can be more productive in other areas than running errands.

I am still a bit bothered by one piece of the job description.  Perhaps you'll be able to settle my stomach with it.

One of the duties is "maintains safety of blind individuals."  I get the impression that someone thinks blind people can't manage their own safety.

What is the reasoning behind that duty?

Take care,

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Undergraduate Student
The Honors College
East Carolina University
salisburyj08 at students.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD