[Ct-nfb] [Ct-NFB] Saturday, August 25, 2012

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 18:12:34 UTC 2012

Ah yes, there’s been plenty of information out there. And Rich, you are most right when you say the chapters need to step it up, and individual members need to take it upon themselves.

However, many of our chapters seem barely functioning as evidenced by this information. Rich you made your plans quite clear through the mailing list. I just feel as though members have been uncertain as to what locations we are definitely covering or not. Personally, I’m quite shocked that most of our population centers are not being covered. Perhaps with better coordination on behalf of all of us, we could have gotten places like Bridgeport, Fairfield, Stanford, Waterbury, New Haven, Norwalk etc. Our chapter members could have split up to cover multiple locations. Instead we’re targeting three somewhat minor towns if the size of the town matters—it does in terms of media coverage I’d imagine.

I don’t recall seeing a list of places we all signed up for on the list; though we did talk about it on the conference call—which only drew a couple handfuls of us. I feel as though there are many of us that do not feel they have a chapter to work with. We do have the at-large chapter in embryonic stage; but that is another thing. I suspect some people are mystified as to if and where their chapter is going to act. Unfortunately many chapter heads do not even have internet. I wish some more efforts were carried out to cover more grounds through the list. I myself was not sure if the Danbury chapter, Norwalk Chapter etc. we’re deciding to take action in their home fronts.

Prior to the establishment of this event, I booked a very important flight ticket out of JFK for the 25th; so I am unfortunately not able to go out with a sign myself. Instead I’ve been trying to help others do what they can to participate, encouraging people to take action in their own home towns etc. While I encourage people to do what they can in their home town or closest goodwill; coordination with a group like a chapter would be quite helpful for a number of reasons. So I see some failure or lack of foresight on all levels. I wish individual members did more--we’re independent people that can figure out how to get around, register and set up a site—but I wish we had more action on the chapter level (Rich you did fine as far as I can discern), and more strategic coordination on the state level. In retrospect, I wish I did some more investigation and outreach towards those areas of the state that didn’t seem to be making a local effort.We could have been highlighting such places on the list. We’re all responsible to some level you see. It’s our federation. We’re not a social club—we’re an activist organization with causes and responsibility for the destiny of the blind. We have a lot of communication loose ends that we should perhaps get a better grasp of for the future.

Yours,

Trevor