[Ct-nfb] [FWD: Reminder: Voc Rehab State Plan Public Hearing today at 4:00 and updated agenda for board meeting on 6-14-12]

Sigman, Brian Brian.Sigman at ct.gov
Tue Jun 12 11:56:34 UTC 2012

I am very sorry to have created all of this confusion. I sent out the original notice of the public hearing for the draft VR plan update on May 21st to the same email distribution list I used yesterday to send out the reminder. I did hear from Beth and Betty after sending out the original notice.

There is still time to participate in the public comments for the VR State Plan annual updates, even if you did not call into the public hearing teleconference. The "official" comment period ends today at 5:00 p.m. but I would certainly bring to the board at the meeting this Thursday any comments I receive on the draft state plan by this Thursday at 8:00 a.m. I promise to look for any emails that have the heading of "VR State Plan" in the subject line and bring them to the board meeting as long as I receive them by 8:00 a.m. on Thursday.

Here are some quick highlights for this coming year's state plan. First, we project having sufficient funds to serve all eligible clients in VR in federal year 2013 so that is very good news. Our State Rehab Council has been working to build up their membership to replace members whose terms have expired. The Council has also worked with the VR Program to recommend some strategies to increase outreach and to make the business plan development process clearer. The goals for next year are focusing on approaches to increase job opportunities for clients. I am pasting in below a summary of those goals. To read the full state plan updates, go to www.ct.gov/besb<http://www.ct.gov/besb> and then go to the link under the Vocational Rehabilitation section titled "BRS-BESB VR Program Draft FFY2013 State Plan."

Again, I am very sorry for this confusion but assure you that you can still submit comments to me. Even leaving a voice mail message for me at (860) 602-4008 by Thursday at 8:00 a.m. is fine.

Here is a summary of the goals:

GOALS FOR NEW YEAR

All goals and objectives carry equal weight and are not listed in a priority order. The Program will commit no less than 1.5 percent of the Title I funds received during FY 2013 for these initiatives.

GOAL A (the desired outcome)

EMPLOYMENT GOAL: Individuals who are blind obtain or retain quality jobs.

Objectives (The reasons the goal is of high importance):

1. Due to the continuation of a challenging economic climate, individuals who are blind continue to experience fewer opportunities to access and maintain employment, requiring a greater diversity of skills and flexibility in adapting to employer needs.

2. Employment provides individuals who are blind the opportunity to be contributing, self-sufficient members of society.

3. Career advancement is an important aspect of career development, resulting in greater likelihood of achieving self-sufficiency.

4. For individuals who are losing vision or whose job duties change, assistance to maintain employment is often necessary.

5. For individuals who are blind and who experience multiple barriers to employment, on-the job training and long-term job supports enable achievement and maintenance of employment.

Strategies (The methods for achieving the objectives):

1. The Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors will begin to utilize new internet-based technologies to connect with employers to offer job placement and job retention services.

2. The Vocational Rehabilitation Program will offer a paid internship, on-the-job training arrangement, or a combination of both to employers who have actual job openings for which the client will be considered for hire.

3. The Vocational Rehabilitation Program will facilitate a job seekers networking group for clients who are seeking employment.

4. Vocational Rehabilitation staff that have job placement as a primary responsibility will each join and participate in a local or regional consortium or group that has a focus on networking for job leads.

Measures (the activities that will be achieved in FY 13):

1. Vocational Rehabilitation staff with job placement responsibilities will each join one employment networking internet-based service and document utilization of activities to outreach to employers on behalf of clients on their caseloads.

2. Work sites are secured using the paid internship model, on-the-job training model, or a combination of both for 20 clients.

3. Two job seekers networking support groups will be implemented; one for job seekers who are seeking  employment due to recent displacement from the workforce and one for individuals who are looking to enter or reenter the workforce.  Each group will be facilitated by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.

4. Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors that have job placement as a primary responsibility will join at least one job-developers group in their region and document active participation.

GOAL B (the desired outcome)

INNOVATION AND EXPANSION: Expand and promote vocational services to groups of individuals who are legally blind who want to obtain, retain or advance in employment.

Objectives (The reasons the goal is of high importance):

1. There are individuals who are legally blind who are unaware of Vocational Rehabilitation services that are available to assist with obtaining, retaining, or advancing in employment.

2. There is a broad range of Vocational Rehabilitation services that benefit whole groups of individuals who are legally blind, who want to obtain, retain, or advance in employment.

Strategies (The methods for achieving the objectives):

1. The Vocational Rehabilitation Program will sponsor NFB Newsline and career-related programming at CRIS Radio for clients of the agency to access educational, career and occupational outlook information.

2. Community-based adaptive technology centers will receive updated adaptive technology for people who are blind to engage in vocational preparation and job seeking activities.

3. Support State Rehabilitation Council activities that promote awareness of services and supports available to people who are blind.

4. Cosponsor and implement leadership development opportunities for transition school-to-work students who are legally blind.

Measures (the activities that will be achieved in FY 13):

1. The Bureau enters into a contract with the National Federation of the Blind for NFB Newsline and CRIS Radio, as documented by written contracts on file.

2. The Vocational Rehabilitation Program provides technical assistance and purchases updated equipment, as needed, for at least one community-based technology center, as documented in a written report.

3. On behalf of the SRC, the client satisfaction survey is conducted by an entity experienced in administering such surveys, and the SRC utilizes the results of this survey to develop two measureable strategies for continuous improvement.

4. The Vocational Rehabilitation Program cosponsors two leadership development programs for clients.

5. The Vocational Rehabilitation Program will update outreach materials that detail services available to clients and distribute this literature to eye doctors, town social service departments and one-stop career centers across the state.

6. Marketing materials to inform employers about services are obtained and provided to Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors for distribution to employers.