[Ct-nfb] Goodwill Boycott

Bernadette Jackel BJackel at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 11:05:48 UTC 2012

Joyce, Justin, et al,

I've not completely followed this string but a few things have caught my attention...
BESB is not the only culprit in this employment dilemma, although shame on them certainly.  My son with CVI, who was discharged from BESB at 21 because he doesn't meet the federal definition of blindness although he FUNCTIONS at the definition of blindness, (CVI has nothing to do with acuity as all the research shows, his acuity is 20/150 but more importantly are the CVI characteristics such as crowding), had a job assessment through BRS, the people who are supposed to help with finding and keeping employment.  I had explained his visual impairment yet they sent him to CVS pharmacy to complete tasks such as finding expiration dates on the shelved products, a difficult task even for the fully-sighted!  The job coach then wrote a report on how he is not competitively employable all based on the fact that he couldn't complete the visual tasks they requested of him. By the way, he just graduated from Perkins and held many jobs there where he was very successful, Perkins reports he IS competitively employable.   It is no wonder that the unemployment rate for the BVI community is so high!  It is just beyond my comprehension that these government agencies can get away with not doing their jobs yet collect paychecks funded by our taxes!

Bernadette

Sent from my iPad