[Ct-nfb] Goodwill Boycott

bsigg at comcast.net bsigg at comcast.net
Fri Jun 22 01:42:22 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I wanted to weigh in from my own personal perspective on this matter. Having a son who paralyzed from the shoulders down,   I nonetheless hope and expect that he will in time be at a point where he will be offered a competitive job with competitive earnings and he can fully contribute to his employment situation. I am not in favor of subminimum wage jobs and feel that people with disabilities should have the same rights and opportunities to competitive wages as the non-disabled population. Many years ago, under the leadership of Dr. Fred Schroeder when he was the Commissioner of Rehab Services Administration, the option of closing people with disabilities in sheltered employment as an employment outcome was eliminated from the Rehabilitation Act.  Since that time, Voc Rehab Programs (including BESB) are not able to take a "closure" for a person who is in sheltered employment. In very rare instances, a person who was found eligible for supported employment services (requiring the presence of multiple significant disabilities) may be closed successfully in a competitive, integrated setting with earnings below minimum wage as long as there is an indication that the person is working toward achievement of earnings at or above minimum wage.

There are some employment settings where workers are paid based on their productivity, typically in an assembly setting. The workers are expected to produce a mimimum number of items per hour and for those who exceed that level, their earnings are compensated accordingly . For those who are unable to acheive the minimum number of items, they are usually separated from the job. The special worker certificate option allows employers (typically community rehab providers) to retain workers who produce less than the required minimum production levels as long as the person has a disability. This is where the controversy arises. In typical employment settings, a person who is unable to achieve the minimum production standards is let go from the job. But under a special worker certificate, the community rehabilitation provider is permitted to keep the person employed but they can also lower the wages to meet the percentage of the productivity the person is working at. On one side of this argument , paying the person for what they produce, even if the wage is below minimum wage is believed to be a better option than having the person lose their job for not meeting the minimum standard of productivity.

>From my personal perspective, low expectations yield low results. Those who told us my son would never breathe on his own again had low expectations. Had we placed our son at those facilities, he would still be on a respirator, living out his life in a long term care facility. We instead found a facility that believed our son could breathe on his own and within two weeks after transferring there , he was off of a respirator . I dont know what the answer is for every situation and that is what makes this such a complicated issue. I do know that BESB cannot take a closure for anyone placed in sheltered employment and to me, this is a good thing.

Good night all and God Bless for all of your energy on this topic. As long as we keep challenging people to think about these difficult issues, we will keep them alive in everyone's mind and perhaps see a shift of thinking in the end.

Brian