[Ct-nfb] FW: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] 7 West Virginians Certified in Literary Braille

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Mon Nov 12 19:48:19 UTC 2012

From: State-affiliate-leadership-list
[mailto:state-affiliate-leadership-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
charlene smyth
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 2:34 PM
To: NFB Chapter Presidents discussion list; NFB Affiliate Presidents List;
State Affiliate Leadership List
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] 7 West Virginians Certified in
Literary Braille

West Virginia's first vice-president, Ed McDonald, made me aware of this.  I
am proud of West Virginia for this accomplishment and wanted to share it
with all of you.

Charlene Smyth

NFBWV President

Our colleague Sheila Amato assures me that it is OK to share with you the
information below.
As many of you know, Sheila is a Member at Large of NFBWV. She moved to West
Virginia after retiring as a teacher of blind and visually impaired children
in the state of New York, and she continues to teach a number of online
university level courses in Braille.
Last spring she coordinated the Braille Challenge in the state, and she
recently conducted the National Certification in Literary Braille exam at
the School for the Blind. Below are the results of the exam which she shared
with me. We congratulate these individuals, and perhaps we need to encourage
more of our VI teachers to seek certification.
Ed
Hi, Ed - just thought you would smile to hear this news. Seven candidates
tested on the National Certification in Literary Braille test on October 10
at the school for the blind, and all of them passed the test. According to
Dr. Eddie Bell of the National Professional Blindness Certification Board,
this is the first time in his 5 years involvement with this certification
process that there was 100% passing rate at a test administration.
So the state of West Virginia now boasts a 5th place ranking in the nation
with folks certified in literary braille.
LA = 34 (this is the home for the NPBCB; they offer this test once a month)
CA = 26 (home for California Transcribers and Educators of the Visually
Impaired)
MD = 9 (national headquarters for the National Federation of the Blind)
TX and VA = 8
NM and WV 7
Sheila