[Ct-nfb] Kindel update

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Tue Nov 13 20:01:07 UTC 2012

Hello all, after a conference call last night it has come to my attention
that you should all be informed of our discussion. Amazon refuses to make
kindle accessible...  NFB needs to educate principals, teachers in schools,
administrators, and media this reduces the ability for blind children to
learn. You will receive more detailed information over the list serve in the
coming weeks. Let's make sure schools stop putting Kindle into the
classrooms in CT. This inaccessible content puts our blind kids at a
disadvantage You as an adult, parent of a child or child should write a
letter in print or Braille. To the CEO of Amazon. Jeff Bezos Explaining why
it is not appropriate to be using Kindle books in our classrooms.  Amazon
needs to make it accessible or stop discriminating against our blind
students by promoting the Kindle into the classrooms; this takes our kids
off of the same playing field. These books are being distributed on
different devices , even if distributed to an accessible device , this is
not accessible to blind children because the Kindle software and the book
itself can't be read blind children can't navigate throughout the book
search it, no refreshable Braille, can't read character by character. Even
when read to you on a pc in word by windows and jaws. Please send your
letters to school districts in ct. and dept. of education and local media.
Thanks for your support,   Beth