[Ct-nfb] Motor Vehicle Safety Comments Needed

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Sat Feb 9 21:30:01 UTC 2013

Justin,

Thank you for encouraging us to do this.  Even if you've never submitted a
comment in a rule-making like this, it's very straightforward to do; as a
starting point, I've copied my comment below for anyone who wants to use it
though it should only be a starting point for you.  It's also most effective
to comment only on the matters the Federal government is asking about: the
kind of noise the cars should make, whether low speed vehicles should emit a
noise, etc.  Other comments already submitted can be linked to from the
following home website:

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/01/14/2013-00359/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-minimum-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicle

It could take a few days for your comment to be posted since an agency staff
employee will review it first, but you will receive a tracking number to
track it.  If you do read the other 90 or so comments, you'll see why your
targeted comments are important.

Here's what I submitted:

I am in favor of these regulations for the safety of all pedestrians,
including blind pedestrians.  I am reminded of the song we always used to
sing in kindergarten at the end of the day, "Stop, look, listen, before you
cross the street..."; while cars that are silent at low speeds seem nice for
the environment, they are dangerous.  I ask that the sound emitted at low
speeds be as similar to an internal combustion engine as possible, since
this is the option most natural in the environment.  Of course, I would have
no problem with a maximum permissible decible level.  I ask that this
regulation be applied to low speed vehicles.

--
Best,
Nathanael Wales