[Ct-nfb] FW: Northwest Hills Credit Union login is inaccessible to the blind

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 14:22:23 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Jen [mailto:spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 2:29 PM
To: Rival, Elizabeth
Subject: Northwest Hills Credit Union login is inaccessible to the blind

Dear Beth,

My name is Jenny Kate Lyon, and I am a member of the National Federation of
the Blind of Connecticut.

I have just gotten an online bank account at Northwest Hills Credit Union. I
am unable to access it without sighted assistance, due to the CAPTCHA on the
site. When you open an account, you pick a picture you want associated with
your account. You have to pick that picture after entering your username and
password before you are in. JAWS presents these pictures as radio buttons,
of which there are sixteen. Since there is no text associated with the
buttons, JAWS can't tell me what the pictures are. Therefore, I can't pick
my picture on my onw. I tried ignoring the picture with my information
already entered in, but a dialogue box appeared that said, "Please select
your image."

As a result, I need to have sighted assistance every time I want to log in,
which comes across as, and is, dependent.

This policy needs to be changed and challenged because I'm sure there are
many blind people, besides me, being blocked from access to this bank
unnecessarily.

Please distribute this e-mail to all the applicable mailing lists .