[Ct-nfb] Humanity of the National Federation of the Blind

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 04:03:37 UTC 2013

Sorry to jump back a few emails, but I just want to say some good points
were made by Nathanael T. on cost efficacy and convenience; though of course
cost benefits don't always represent humanity-a whole different can'o'worms
we probably shouldn't get into. Just for quick reference though; many
economists believe a living person is only worth a few thousand dollars-but
I digress-this is not a Federationist, nor my personal belief. I would add
to what Nathanael said with my own perception that persisting with our
Federationist message of blind persons' normality, great potential, and
deservingness of recognition would benefit far more people on a global scale
than would pursuing special humanitarian visas for those with treatable eye
conditions, particularly given our lack of medical expertise in the NFB of
CT. The NFB does have a voice on the global ideas market.

Indeed there is no shame in asking for help over our list serve. I don't
remember a call for help being an issue with regards to this discussion.
People ask for assistance, advice and other things all the time on different
NFB list serves. While such items may not always represent the focus of the
particular mailing list, they're not something one can expect debate or
condemnation over. Many of us in the federation participate in charitable
causes respective to our interests and passions. There's nothing wrong with
tapping into our NFB communities in order to find such outlying resources as
those charities. Such charities are just not NFB structures, nor should they
be. As Nathanael talked about, we're not designed to handle that biz. This
is regardless of whether or not such charitable activity is counter to our
NFB principals.

Best as always,

Trevor A