[Ct-nfb] Department of Education releases Dear Colleague letter on the need for Braille

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Wed Jun 19 23:54:33 UTC 2013

>From Jesse Hartle

Good Afternoon All,

     As many of you will remember, last year we worked to build cosigner support on a Dear Colleague letter circulated in the United States Senate by Senator Murray of Washington, related to the need for blind students to learn braille in America's schools.  I am pleased to let you know that the Department of Education has now circulated a Dear Colleague to school systems across the country emphasizing the need to uphold the language set forth in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA, to ensure that blind students are receiving a free and appropriate public education.  The Department of Education letter is attached to this message.  This letter will be a valuable tool to have, when we represent blind students across the country, who are being denied braille instruction.  Thank you all for your work.  Jesse

To contact Jesse: [mailto:JHartle at nfb.org]