[Ct-nfb] School punishes blind child by taking away cane and replacingit with a pool noodle

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Dec 18 20:32:36 UTC 2014

Hello Edward,

Thanks for sharing this article with us all. Kate and I were reading it earlier this week, and I cannot imagine the differences between handling this issue in a world with the National Federation of the Blind and handling this issue in a hypothetical world where the Federation had never existed.

If not for the Federation, people would not even think of this as a problem; in fact, the child probably never would have had a cane in the first place. It is my hope that our Missouri affiliate and national organization can help amend this situation and educate all involved with all the swiftness and finesse in the world.

This is a great reminder that we must all do our part to educate the public so that this does not happen again anywhere, especially in Connecticut.

Yours,

Justin Salisbury

Justin Salisbury - Running Thunder Phoenix
Graduate Student
Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness
Louisiana Tech University
Email: jms132 at latech.edu
Twitter: @SalisburyJustin

But, of course, we will not fail. We will continue to climb. Our heritage demands it; our faith confirms it; our humanity requires it. Whatever the sacrifice, we will make it. Whatever the price, we will pay it. Seen from this perspective, the hostility and backlash (the challenges and confrontations) are hardly worth noticing. They are only an irritant. My brothers and my sisters, the future is ours. Come! Join me on the stairs, and we will finish the journey.
- Dr. Kenneth Jernigan