[Ct-nfb] Important Questions regarding the minium wage

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Tue Mar 4 19:23:16 UTC 2014

Elizabeth:

What I have done is edited your questions so that I can somewhat understand them.  If, for any of them, you think I am missing the mark, please try asking again.  Below each question, I have given you a response.

Please keep up the good work and Federation spirit!

Justin

It really is simple of what I'd been asking you. I was asking you since you'd been doing this legislative stuff a few questions about what you'd gathered and learned from dealing with the subject of fair wages and needed some information of it.

I had been asking you this:
What figures did you obtain/gain of Goodwill and others paying less than the minimum wage. How far under  minimum wage were they paying?

I can give you encyclopedia volumes of figures, so this first question is very broad.  I will give you some of the most important ones.  First, there is no minimum wage for workers with disabilities, so these workshops can pay wages as low as one penny per hour.  For a while, the lowest wage we’d found was seven cents per hour.  Then, we found someone working for three cents per hour.  After that, we finally found someone working for one penny per hour.  These sheltered workshops often call themselves “job training facilities,” but only 5% of the people who start working in sheltered employment ever go on to earn a minimum wage in their entire lives.  That means 95% of them are trapped there.  Furthermore, we spend millions of Medicaid dollars in every state (which are matched with federal dollars) to fund these sheltered workshops.  They run largely on government contracts, and they are able to pay minimum wage, but they don’t do it because they don’t have to pay minimum wage.  Private businessmen have learned that they can get rich by running workshops which are parasites on the government budget and exploit disabled people to lower costs further.  Our government doesn’t fund any other program that only has a 5% success rate, and we need to abolish this entire system by passing HR 831 and a Senate companion bill.

If  H R 831 is passed why do we need the Senate to take action on it, as well?.

We need a companion bill to HR 831, hopefully with the exact same language (copied and pasted) from HR 831.  We need it to be introduced by a strong leader who believes in the capacity of the disabled, civil rights, and fiscal responsibility.

How effectively supportive are the Senators being, specifically Blumenthal and Murphy?  I ask this because I am speaking directly to the Senator so in fact he can speak of it in Wednesdays discussions.

We trust that Senators Blumenthal and Murphy are great men who want to do great things for America and Connecticut.  Unfortunately, they have not taken any observable action to end a practice that is unfair, discriminatory, and immoral.  We need a Senate companion bill to HR 831, which would phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, which currently allows employers to pay wages as low as one penny per hour to workers with disabilities.

I hope this is now much clearer for you and hope you can get back to me as soon as possible so I can get this to him by mid afternoon.

Thank you and take care
Elizabeth