[Ct-nfb] Time to Warm Up!

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Mar 27 20:54:25 UTC 2014

Fellow Federationists:

Please start your warm-ups now!  I am expecting that we will receive an urgent legislative call to action very soon about the Workforce Investment Act.

It may be helpful to review the two components of the bill to which we object.

S. 1356 - The Workforce Investment Act

Title V, Section 511, re-establishes sheltered employment as an option for employment and training placements.  Sheltered employment will, once again, be considered a successful employment outcome, and VR agencies will be able to claim successful case closures when they dump a client into a sheltered workshop.

There is also language in the bill that transfers the Rehabilitation Services Administration from the Department of Education to the Department of Labor.  The agency will then be focused on placing people into jobs and no longer focused on preparing them for the careers of their choice.

This bill is a double-whammy.  It reinstates sheltered employment as a successful vocational outcome, and it changes the priority from training to placement.

Please stay tuned for the big call to action.

Yours,

Justin

Justin Salisbury
Legislative Coordinator
National Federation of the Blind of Wisconsin