[Ct-nfb] Info on free upgrade to Windows 10

Deb Reed deb.reed57 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:45:47 UTC 2015

Hi,
Beth sent me the following on Windows 10. 5D got my attention,"I am Talking to my Computer". Different than Siri and maybe even more convenient in particular for personal use rather than the workplace? Check it out.
2A) First, "An Open Letter On the Economics and Morals of Scripting:"
http://www.dlee.org/script_econ.htm

2B) And second, Chris Hofstader's latest, "The Greatest Living Blind Hacker:"
http://chrishofstader.com/the-greatest-living-blind-hacker/

3) This post suggests that "The Inverting Feature On iOS & Android Doesn't Meet The Needs Of Low Vision Users:"
http://blog.blackspheretech.com/?p=282

4) This tech-savvy blind youth figured out that he needed to improve his Braille competency in order to be truly effective:
https://nfb.org/blog/atblog/braille-literacy-through-technology

5A) Windows 10 makes its appearance this week, and looking ahead a little, Tek Talk will feature a discussion of Windows 10 on GMT Tuesday, 11 August at 00:00:
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rsc9613dc89eb2

5B) And here is the Freedom Scientific page about upgrading to Windows 10:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/141

5C) And here is news about Window-Eyes 9.2, which includes Windows 10 compatibility, as well as preliminary support for Office 16, other enhancements in web navigation, and enhancements in the auto-recovery feature:
http://www.gwmicro.com/Window-Eyes/Upgrades/

And here is a variety of additional general interest Windows 10 information:

5D) I Installed Windows 10 and Now I'm Talking to My Computer:
http://reviews.gizmodo.com/i-installed-windows-10-and-now-im-talking-to-my-compute-1719786498?rev=1437683400760

5E) Stepping over the Threshold: Windows 10 in 10000 words, thoroughly reviewed:
http://www.coolblindtech.com/stepping-over-the-threshold-windows-10-in-10000-words-thoroughly-reviewed/

5F) All The Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts You'll Need (And a Few More):
http://betanews.com/2015/07/29/all-the-windows-10-keyboard-shortcuts-youll-need-and-a-few-more/

5G) Walt Mossberg Reviews Microsoft Windows 10:
http://recode.net/2015/07/28/windows-10-review-microsoft-takes-a-step-back-to-move-forward/

5H) 9 Reasons Not to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Yet:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2950649/windows/9-reasons-not-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-yet.html#tk.rss_all

 Deb Reed, President
National Federation Of The Blind
Central CT Chapter