[Ct-nfb] Party Platforms Call for End to Subminimum Wage

Jim McCollum j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 26 17:20:16 UTC 2016

Hello, fellow Federationists.
Very good news from National today. Both major political parties have come out in support of ending sub-minimum wages for disabled workers. Of course, getting the TIME Act passed is another matter, and we are still fighting for it. But this is still important.

https://nfb.org/party-platforms-call-end-subminimum-wage

Party Platforms Call for End to Subminimum Wage | National Federation of the Blind

National Federation of the Blind Urges Passage of TIME Act

Baltimore, Maryland (July 26, 2016): The National Federation of the Blind today applauded language in the platforms of both major political parties that calls for the end of the payment of subminimum wages to workers with disabilities.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: "The National Federation of the Blind has advocated for the elimination of the subminimum wage since our founding, and the recognition of this issue by leaders of both political parties further confirms that the time has long passed to eliminate the unfair and separate wage system for people with disabilities. We applaud the statements of both Democratic and Republican delegates, and urge members of Congress to follow those statements with the actions required to pass the Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act as soon as possible when Congress resumes its session."

The Democratic Party platform states in pertinent part: "We … support … ending the sub-minimum wage for … people with disabilities." The Republican Party platform states in pertinent part: "Our TIME Act (Transition[ing] to Integrated and Meaningful Employment) will modernize the Fair Labor Standards Act to encourage competitive employment for persons with disabilities. … We endorse efforts like Employment First that replace dependency with jobs in the mainstream of the American workforce."

Jim McCollum
Legislative Co-ordinator
j.mccollum64 at comcast.net