[Ct-nfb] [Ctabs] December Meeting of the Waterbury Area Chapter

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Tue Nov 22 03:58:59 UTC 2016

Gary,

I am heartened to see our Waterbury Chapter growing and so quickly advocating with their local elected officials.  It’s an example to us, and I hope we can do everything we can to stand with them and offer them the sort of training in advocacy that you, Justin, Jim, I, and so many others on this list have been so fortunate to have had.  If there is something I can do, please let me know.  Though my professional career has been almost exclusively in water resources—dams and river flow, water quality, and flood and erosion damage management—I did take a couple of elective classes in college (more years ago than I may be cool admitting) in traffic design and the sort of planning that city officials may be doing.  After college and for a few years afterwards I served as the NFB chapter president in Sacramento, California, and our chapter advocated on this and similar issues with a fairly practical, balanced, and reasonable philosophy (well, I’d like to think).

I’d point out to all of us on a broader note, whether we live in central Connecticut, New Haven as Jim does, Fairfield as I do with a couple of seemingly strategically-placed accessible traffic signals (like along the Post Road at an intersection with a very small cross street), or Hartford that we’d also ought to think about having a say with our elected officials to change the fact that “…people in their 60s 70s and 80s. Those people often don't get mobility training.”  It is unconscionable that BESB is not replacing its retiring O&M instructor and now has only two for the entire state, likely because of a lack of state funding.  How much more effective could tax dollars be spent if they were redirected from audible traffic signals to proper cane travel training, such as hiring a good O&M instructor?  Ah, redirecting tax dollars from transportation to BESB would make a bureaucrat’s head explode.  But, hey, that could be amusing; blowing up the system seems to be in style…  In all seriousness, we really do need to advocate that adult services at BESB, including O&M, be given full resources and funded properly and BESB not be complacent and blame the big bad, well really bad, state budget; it truly is, I think, a critical legislative priority on which we should all be advocating.

My best wishes to our new colleagues in Waterbury.  Again, if I may be of assistance I’d be glad to do what I can.

Nathanael Wales, Treasurer