[Ct-nfb] Don’t Deny AIM-HE, second try

Jim McCollum j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 22:48:02 UTC 2017

Hopefully this will work.

https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/don%E2%80%99t-deny-aim-he

Don’t Deny AIM-HE | National Federation of the Blind
From the Editor:

Kathryn Webster is the president of the National Association of Blind Students (NABS), the largest organized group of blind students in the United States. In this piece, she writes about the critical need for blind students in higher education to receive instructional materials at the same time as their sighted peers. To learn more about NABS, visit nabslink.org

By Kathryn Webster

Technology has fundamentally changed the way we think and learn. Fifty years ago, eBooks were non-existent, online learning was irrelevant, and the distribution of accessible materials was not a priority in the classroom. In 2016, the tables have turned one hundred eighty degrees. With the turn of the century came advancement in technology, unlike anything we’ve ever seen before. Some rely on robot vacuums to clean their homes. Others take advantage of their ability to pay for purchases with smart phones at the click of a button. Most depend on a Global Positioning System (GPS) to direct them from point A to point B. These products have proven their success. Though we see technological advances almost daily, in the case of blind students, the fundamentals are still overlooked. Blind students continue to struggle with receiving equal access to course materials in institutions of higher education.

Due to the constant evolution of technology, print-disabled individuals are greatly disadvantaged compared to our sighted counterparts.  This is particularly evident in the classroom, where blind students of Higher Education are forced to face an uphill battle from day 1. We push for accessible textbooks, properly labeled websites, and navigable software simply to succeed. It is clear that developers and manufacturers do not have the blind in mind. Instead, print-disabled students obtain course materials late, if at all. It means we are encouraged to take less software-heavy classes because of the lack of accessibility. The inadequately labeled web pages force us to miss out on valuable information, potentially causing a decrease in grades and overall academic success. There is a solution.

The Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education (AIM-HE) Act involves the creation of a purpose-based commission including key players such as the disability community, higher education administrators, and the industry workforce. These experts will compile a list of voluntary guidelines for colleges and universities to utilize. Providing equivalent materials to blind students will not only save the institutions from litigation, but most importantly allow us to prosper in the classroom. We are perfectly able, equally qualified, and ready to compete with our peers on an equal footing. It is unfair that we face these roadblocks nearly every semester of college. It is even more unfair that students fear inaccessibility, avoiding higher education entirely. Each year, the percentage of students enrolled in colleges increases. That should be the case for blind students. Unfortunately, it is not. We need AIM-HE in order to demonstrate our worth because we deserve it. Accessible instructional materials will encourage success in the classroom, prompting success in the workplace. Blind students are equally capable to participate in the classroom, but still our society does not see that.

Fifty years ago, the distribution of accessible materials was not a priority within the classroom. Today, the distribution of accessible materials is still not a priority. Perhaps what separates the two cases is the ability to change this. Fifty years ago, the Internet was unknown. Fifty years ago, the disability community had not made our mark on society by participating equally in all aspects of life. Fifty years ago, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was not a thought in any legislator’s mind. Today, the Internet is utilized by billions of people, blind individuals have fought for our rights, and the ADA was passed 26 years ago. It is 2016 and I, along with my blind peers, are ready to excel in the classroom. We are ready to receive equal access to education. It is at the forefront of our mind as perfectly abled bodies who deserve equivalent treatment in college. As a blind student myself, I recognize the importance of AIM-HE. I know that with accessible materials comes instant success. Let’s work to implement accessible instructional material in higher education in order to decrease the employment gap for people with disabilities and to compete on the grounds of merit, not lack of access.

Jim Y. McCollum
President
Shoreline Chapter
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) of Connecticut
Legislative Co-ordinator, NFB of CT
j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
860-581-0430 (mobile)
203-535-1620 (home)