[Ct-nfb] white cane day is now changed to below. Beth Rival

Elizabeth Rival erival at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 17:55:05 UTC 2018

State of Connecticut

By His Excellency Dannel P. Malloy, Governor:

an Official Statement

WHEREAS, Connecticut's citizens who are blind or visually impaired can
rightfully take pride in their contributions to the rich economic and social
fabric of our community, and the State encourages employers, in both the
public and private sector, to recognize the capabilities, skills and
potential of citizens with blindness or visual impairment; and

WHEREAS, white canes and guide dogs have come to symbolize equal rights and
equal access for persons with blindness; and

WHEREAS, as a symbol, these white canes are also reminders to society of the
many successes of persons with blindness or visual impairment, and the
achievements of hardworking individuals in their communities and places of
employment due to equal access; and

WHEREAS, Connecticut law establishes the right of persons with blindness to
carry and use a white cane or use a guide dog along our streets and
roadways, in residential settings, on public transportation, in public
accommodations, and in the workplace; and

WHEREAS, our law also requires that all motorists exercise appropriate
caution when approaching someone using a white cane or guide dog; and

WHEREAS, the State of Connecticut encourages all of its citizens, especially
those who drive quiet or silent hybrid and electric vehicles, to join the
nationwide effort to keep our streets and roadways safe for pedestrians with
blindness or visual impairment; and

WHEREAS, October 15th has been known as White Cane Safety Day across the
United States since it was declared by Congress and the President in 1964,
now

THEREFORE, to celebrate and honor the past achievements and future potential
of all of Connecticut's citizens with blindness or visual impairment, I,
Dannel P. Malloy, Governor of the State of Connecticut, do hereby proclaim
October 15, 2018 as

Blind americans Equality day

in the State of Connecticut.