[CT-NFB] We Walk Smart cane

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Sat Feb 15 14:41:30 UTC 2020

Good morning, everybody,

I am quite hesitant to try or even encourage trying this device, and I say that as both a cane user and a cane travel instructor myself.

At a very simple level, I think a lot of us can relate to the idea that these canes cost more to produce and to replace than the standard long white cane. If I really want to use GPS, I can do that with my iPhone and then use a regular cane. Canes inevitably break at some point, and I don’t like the idea of having to pay more money to replace a cane after it breaks.

Furthermore, once a person learns how to use a long white cane properly, there is very little missing information that a person would consider getting anywhere else. The only time my cane ever fails to pick up the information I need is when I encounter a low-hanging tree branch, and I have yet to see an electronic cane that could do that consistently without sacrificing other substantive functions of a long white cane.

I think it’s great that people want to invent things to help blind people, but those inventions often stand upon a set of misperceptions about what is possible for blind people.

Some people, especially those who have not had proper training with a long white cane, may argue that this is a substitute for proper training with a long white cane. I am not comfortable with the idea that someone might go out without proper adjustment to blindness training and attempt to use a device like this. The device is going to be distracting and jeopardize the traveler’s safety, while also eroding their confidence because they are bound to struggle.

Happy Presidents Day weekend,

Justin

Justin Mark Hideaki Salisbury
he/him/his

Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Justin_Salisbury

“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore.”

Cesar Chavez