[CT-NFB] FW: Agenda for 6-18-20 Meeting of Advisory Board for Persons who are Blind or Visually Impaired posted and attached

Al Sylvestre al.geographe at gmail.com
Fri May 22 18:45:08 UTC 2020

On behalf of Chairperson Sylvestre, please see below:

*Good afternoon, Advisory Board members. *

*I hope this note finds you well and safe,   *

*I write to draw your attention to the 18 June 2020 Advisory Board meeting
agenda item entitled VR Policy for Personal Adjustment Programs.  Informed
discussion of this agenda item requires familiarity with the relevant VR
policy as well as the resolution passed by the National Federation of the
Blind of CT on 7 April 2020, both of which appear below. As the advisory
board chairman, I ask that each of you review the policy and the resolution
in advance of the Advisory Board meeting.  The following link offers more
in-depth information on the topic:  **On the Duration of Sleepshade
Training in the Adjustment to Blindness*
<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfb.org%2Fimages%2Fnfb%2Fpublications%2Fjbir%2Fjbir17%2Fjbir070202.html&data=01%7C01%7CBrian.Sigman%40ct.gov%7C472c188847394cfe619c08d7fe5a4515%7C118b7cfaa3dd48b9b02631ff69bb738b%7C0&sdata=x5TbdXSJajffphQOADYRK5c5NzcR08Jse%2FtX3rzUNIw%3D&reserved=0>*.
*

*I Wish you a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend.  *

Al

Al Sylvestre

Chairman

Aging and Disability

Advisory Board for

Persons Who are

Blind or Visually Impaired

*VR Policy: Personal Adjustment Training *

*Personal Adjustment Training refers to any training given for one, or a
combination, of the following reasons: (A) To assist an individual to
acquire personal habits, attitudes, and skills which will enable the
individual to function effectively with a disability; (B) To develop or
increase work tolerance prior to engaging in pre-employment or vocational
training or in employment; (C) To develop work habits and to orient the
individual to employment; or (D) To develop skills or techniques for the
specific purpose of enabling the individual to compensate for the loss of a
member of the body or the loss of a sensory function.*

*Prior to making a determination that out of state residential personal
adjustment training programs are necessary for achievement of the
employment outcome as identified in the Individualized Plan for Employment
or subsequent amendment, the client will participate in an independent
living evaluation with a Rehabilitation Teacher and a mobility evaluation
with an Orientation and Mobility Instructor employed by the Bureau.
Services available through an in-state option as documented in the
rehabilitation teaching evaluation or mobility evaluation shall be provided
by staff of the Bureau. In situations where no feasible in-state option
exists to address the client’s employment outcome, the Vocational
Rehabilitation Counselor and client shall review the options available for
residential personal adjustment programs in order for the client to make an
informed decision. *

*For training at community rehabilitation programs, the Bureau may use the
approved fee schedules from other agencies, including rates established by
the public Vocational Rehabilitation Programs of the applicable state. In
addition, the Commissioner of the Department of Rehabilitation Services may
negotiate and establish rates.  *

*Progress reports are required at periodic intervals agreed to between the
provider and the Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor and continued
authorizations for training should be based on the demonstration of
reasonable progress and the documented need for additional training.  *

*The Vocational Rehabilitation Program shall not fund more than 12 weeks of
attendance at a residential independent living program, including the
assessment period, unless the State Director has preapproved an extension
beyond that timeframe. In requesting an extension of funding from the State
Director, the vendor must include the following information:  *

*(A) The list of skills that were not mastered during the first 10 weeks of
attendance;*

*(B) The reason(s) the skills cannot be mastered in the remaining portion
of the 12 week period;*

*(C) The basis for concluding that the skills could be mastered with
additional training beyond 12 weeks; *

*(D) The anticipated length of time required for the client to master these
additional skills; and  *

*(E) The measure that will be used as the benchmark to demonstrate the
skills were mastered.*

*Al*