[CT-NFB] Washington Seminar

mvcmelley at gmail.com mvcmelley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 16:07:28 UTC 2020

Washington Seminar Logistics:

Every year the National Federation of the Blind conducts a concentrated and
focused set of meetings to educate members of Congress about issues
affecting blind Americans. This event is referred to as the Washington
Seminar. This year's Washington Seminar will be virtual. The Great
Gathering-In will still be Monday, February 8, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
eastern. We urge affiliates to schedule their Congressional meetings either
Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, February 9, 10, or 11.

We will be announcing our issues sometime during the month of December and
will be distributing our fact sheets in early January. We will also be
conducting extensive training during that month.

It's too early to begin scheduling your Congressional meetings-most offices
will not want to begin scheduling meetings for 2021 until January, but
affiliates should begin thinking about how they can maximize constituent
participation, especially in House meetings.

If you have members who are uncertain who their representative is, they can
look it up at
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative.

In the meantime, we still want to build cosponsor support for each of our
seven bills. Doing so will help us when we restart in 2021 or may even help
get them passed during one of the few remaining times Congress will be in
session this year, so watch for upcoming legislative alerts.

This announcement comes from President Riccobono. All presidents had a zoom
meeting Sunday evening to discuss the Washington seminar being virtual this
year. It could be a very positive experience with the possibility of more
constituents being able to attend the meetings. Also we have a better chance
of actually meeting with our representative rather than their assistants. I
will be sending out more information once I receive it.

Best Regards,

Maryanne Melley

President

mvcmelley at gmail.com