[CT-NFB] Today’s Question of the Day

Gary Allen garyallenct at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 18:48:02 UTC 2020

What  Being  Blind  Means  to  me

Being blind has impacted my life in various ways.  I cannot comprehend how
my life would have been different if I was not blind because I do not know
anything else.   I was born with cataracts and was totally blind for the
first two years of life.  Doctors performed surgery on me and gave me
20/200 vision.  I have had the same vision ever since.     I am largely
happy with my life.  I have received a lot of support and encouragement
from my friends, my family and the National Federation of the Blind.  I
have learned from the National Federation of the Blind that blind people
can do anything that they want except drive.  At least for now.  Blind
people have the capability to do what they want in life.  Throughout my
life there were activities that I just could not do very well which caused
me to look for other things that I could do well.  The one piece of
literature that I read from the NFB that changed the way that I thought
about the NFB was an article by Kenneth Jernigan called BLINDNESS-HANDICAP
OR CHARACTERISTIC. Blindness can be an annoyance  sometimes  but as  I  have
found  out  these little annoyances  can be  over come  with love ,  hope,
Determination blind  people  as  well  as  people  with  other  disabilities
can do  what  ever  they  want  to  do  in  life.   That is the reason why
I have worked with people with disabilities in my professional career
because I believe in them and I believe in you the members of the National
Federation of the Blind.

 https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr02/issue4/f020401.html