[CT-NFB] Be my eyes or Aira

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Mon Aug 2 00:48:42 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I agree with what Jim said, especially with the way that Aira agents can look up a map of a place, such as an airport, and tell you where to go. It's hard to think back in time to the point where I did things pre-pandemic. I used to just ask people near me which gate we were in front of, and I would get directions if I needed them. I don't personally like using an Aira agent versus just talking to ordinary people because I'm just a social butterfly like that, but it is useful for that if that's what you want to do.

I will add a note of caution about thinking that you can use Aira agents to know when to cross streets. Some people like to do that, but I am pretty sure that the agents have been instructed not to do it anymore. It's not safe because they can tell you when a light is green, but that doesn't mean that some car isn't going to disobey the lights and come up and hit you. Aira may work well like a human interpreter for a GPS, but please don't use it to cross streets.

Aloha,

Justin

Justin Mark Hideaki Salisbury
he/him/his

Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Justin_Salisbury

“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore.”

Cesar Chavez