[CT-NFB] Guide dog appreciation story #3

Isabel Rosario isabelrosario76 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 14:48:21 UTC 2023

Happy International Guide Dog Day from the Ct Association of Guide dog
Users! Today i’ll be sharing some of my personal stories with my guide -
One of my favorite stories with my guide dog, Ilo, is the time we were on
my college campus. After my class, I mentioned that I wanted to get some
coffee and started heading towards the building where Dunkin' Donuts was
located. Before I could even signal him, Ilo immediately led me to the
building, and once we went through the door, brought me straight to the
Dunkin' Donuts line. It was funny because there were several other spots to
get in line for other food, but Ilo knew that I wanted to go to Dunkin'
Donuts.

Another favorite story happened on campus as well. I was in between classes
and always sat in the same seat in the student lounge area. Ilo had become
so used to my routine that he led me straight to the chair. However, he
stopped off to the side instead of in front of the chair. There was someone
sitting there, and I didn't immediately notice until the person asked if I
wanted to sit there. I realized that Ilo had been staring the person down
as if to say, "why are you sitting in our seat?" That day he learned that
we can't always sit in the same seat, even if we sit there all the time.

Ilo has such a goofy personality, and I distinctly remember a time after
moving when I left my room for a bit. When I came back up, he ran up to me
to show me what he found. It was an old broken toy that I was keeping as a
keepsake because it was the first toy I bought him. I found this funny
because the toy was in a small luggage with things I hadn't unpacked yet.
When I went to investigate, I saw that a zipper was open just a hand's
width, and he had somehow gotten his nose in there and dug the toy out. He
was very determined.

Unfortunately, like many guide dog handlers, I have faced access denials
from Uber drivers. When this happens, it is always extremely frustrating,
especially since drivers should know that they're not allowed to refuse
access to service animals. But the worst Uber service dog denial was the
time when I was not in the best area and requested an Uber. Once the driver
saw that I had Ilo with me, he refused to take us. I informed him that it
was against the ADA and Uber's policy and it was very possible for him to
be removed from the platform if he denied me, but the driver didn't care.
He told me he didn't want to take my dog and that Uber could remove him
from the platform if they wanted to, then drove off. I then had to wait
another 15 minutes before getting connected with another driver, which was
a very frustrating experience, especially being in an unfamiliar and unsafe
area. Thankfully, a security guard saw that I was there and accompanied me
until my next Uber arrived. I reported the experience, and the driver was
removed from the platform, but it didn't take away from the frustration I
felt in the moment.

Overall, having a guide dog has enhanced my life in the most positive ways.
It has boosted my confidence when traveling, and I love always having my
goofy four-legged furry friend with me.
Attached are 2 photos of ilo: one is of  ilo, a yellow lab laying in front
of the fireplace wearing his harness looking happy. The other is of him
laying in in the grass next to a stream
--
Best regards,
Isabel Rosario