[CT-NFB] Call to action: Blind Americans Return to Work Act

JIM MCCOLLUM j.mccollum64 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 21 23:57:10 UTC 2024

Hello all,

Shortly before our national convention in Orlando, the Blind Americans Return to Work Act was introduced in the House of Representatives. The bill number is H.  r. 8878. This bill addresses the SSDI earnings cliff. Currently, if a blind or low vision person who receives SSDI benefits chooses to go back to work, benefits are terminated if that person earns a certain amount of money. In 2024, that amount is $2,590 per month. This bill would eliminate the earnings cliff, and institute a system where, after reaching a certain amount of money from employment, SSDI benefits would be reduced by one dollar for each dollar earned working. This would be an incentive for blind Americans to return to work.

Currently none of Connecticut's representatives have co-sponsored this bill. We are advocating to get as many representatives as possible to co-sponsor, so we're asking that our members contact their representatives and ask them to sign on to this bill.

The easiest way to contact them by phone is through the Capitol Switchboard, which is 202-224-3121. Simply ask to be transferred to the appropriate office.

Below is a list of contacts and their e-mail addresses for our five representatives. If you choose to e-mail, please copy Jesse Shirek, jshirek at nfb.org, mailto:jshirek at nfb.org, onto the e-mail.

Joe Courtney:
Meghan O'Sullivan Ruvinsky, meghan.o'sullivan at mail.house.gov
Rosa DeLauro:
Jack Rayburn, jack.rayburn at mail.house.gov mailto:jack.rayburn at mail.house.gov

Jahana Hayes:
Miranda Ganter, miranda.ganter at mail.house.gov mailto:miranda.ganter at mail.house.gov

Jim Himes:
Hannah Aiken, hannah.aiken at mail.house.gov mailto:hannah.aiken at mail.house.gov

John Larson:
Mike Dunn, mike.dunn at mail.house.gov mailto:mike.dunn at mail.house.gov

Feel free to reach out to me if I can be of further assistance.

Jim McCollum
860-581-0430
j.mccollum64 at comcast.net mailto:j.mccollum64 at comcast.net