[Ctabs] Legislation: Space Available for Disabled Veterans

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Wed Jul 24 14:56:27 UTC 2013

Fellow Federationists:

                It has been a few weeks since my last message about Space Available, in which I urged us all to contact Senators Blumenthal and Murphy.  How many of us have done it?

If it will make things easier, I have pasted below the text of an email I sent to Senator Murphy a few weeks ago.  If you wish to use bits and pieces of it for your own correspondence, please do.  Every call counts.  Every email counts.

Yours,

Justin Salisbury

Justin M. Salisbury
Graduate Student
Department of Agricultural & Applied Economics
The University of Wisconsin-Madison
president at alumni.ecu.edu<mailto:president at alumni.ecu.edu>

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."    -MARGARET MEAD

Dear Senator Murphy,

We cannot thank our disabled veterans enough for their service, and I have a cost-neutral way to thank them like we thank active duty and retired military personnel.

I write to request your co-sponsorship of S 346, a bill that will extend the space available program to 100 percent service-disabled veterans with service-connected disabilities.

"Space available" is a common name for a program where, if there are empty seats on a military flight, active duty or retired military, their families, emergency service personnel, or patients needing immediate medical treatment can travel in those seats free of charge. 100 percent service-disabled veterans with service-connected disabilities are not included in this program, and I believe this was honest oversight.

No additional resources are necessary to make this program accessible to disabled veterans.  Remember, resources are already available to accommodate emergency medical patients.

These 100 percent service-disabled veterans with service-connected disabilities sacrificed their health for our country, and they cannot reach the retirement credential for this program.  Please help them access a benefit they deserve.

Senator Tester (MT) is sponsoring this bill.  In the House of Representatives, a bipartisan group of 166 Congressmen (94 Republicans, 72 Democrats) were signed on in support of the companion bill when it was incorporated into the National Defense Authorization Act.  If you are interested in co-sponsoring this bill, please contact Kellin Clark in Senator Tester's office.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please call me.